Leaving Your Seadoo Challenger on a lift in the winter

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mattdog501

Hello group,

We own a 2009 Seadoo Challenger 230 510 HP and we just moved to Dallas. We have it on a lift in a slip at a local lake and I was wondering if I could just leave it on the lift and not try and trailer/store it during the winter months. We moved from up north and I know it doesnt get as cold down here. I just bought the boat in May so I didnt know if it would need any type of winter service, or even if it was something I could do while on the lift?

Has anyone done this before? Last thing I want to do is have the two engines freeze but I dont have a storage place for it and I would rathe rnot get one if I could do something myself and leave it on the lift during the winter months.

Ay thoughts would be appreciated!

Thanks

Im in Arlington and can tell you we do get a few nights in the teens and more than a handful below freezing, toss in a few ice storms along the way. You could keep it on the lift as long as its out of the water. You will need to winterize it though and flush the engine with antifreeze as well as the intercooler. Change oil and filter and remove the battery.

I don't have a Challenger, but I do have a 21' Donzi. I have a covered dock with lift at my lake house and have left it there over the winter for 12 yrs. I bought a ceramic heater from Home Depot that has a tipover switch and a thermostat control. I keep it about 45 F in the engine compartment.

HOWEVER... Last year, I fully winterized it as I did not know where all of the flush cocks were located. Good thing I did. In Feb, we had an ice storm that took out the power for 3 days. It got down to 4F and that is pretty cold in North Georgia.

So, I will continue to leave the boat on the lift, but I will always drain and fill with RV antifreeze.

-Dave
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't have a Challenger, but I do have a 21' Donzi. I have a covered dock with lift at my lake house and have left it there over the winter for 12 yrs. I bought a ceramic heater from Home Depot that has a tipover switch and a thermostat control. I keep it about 45 F in the engine compartment.

HOWEVER... Last year, I fully winterized it as I did not know where all of the flush cocks were located. Good thing I did. In Feb, we had an ice storm that took out the power for 3 days. It got down to 4F and that is pretty cold in North Georgia.

So, I will continue to leave the boat on the lift, but I will always drain and fill with RV antifreeze.
-Dave ...Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good Point Dave. I've left my boat on my lift in Michigan but always winterized it first.
In warm weather states you never know when a power outage and freezing temps will occur.
Even in Sep't/Oct here before I remove it from the water.....if I hear about temps close to 32F overnight . I'll go and start it and let it warm up so it stays warm enough overnight.

Is there someone in Dallas who I can get to winterize it for me. I e never done this before and don't really know where to start. I would be great to pay someone to come do it while on the lift. We jeep it at Ray hubbard.

I left mine of the lift on a cover docked. Make sure your the intercooler and exhaust pipes are flushed or have anti freeze (the friendly RV kind). You can make a fill from a hose and a hose snap connector. Put extra antifreeze in the bilge. Of course spray everything with WD-40.

I am not sure of how to fog the engine intake and exhaust without taking major stuff apart. Maybe pull up the fuel rail and spray liberally inside while turning the motor over in drown mode?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back