Leave main battery switch on or off?

Turn off battery switch when leaving boat?

• Yes

Votes: 25 92.6%
  • No

Votes: 2 7.4%

• Total voters
Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

ravekiss

I wanted to know...for those who keep their boats in the water..do you turn off the main battery switch when you leave? We're docked at a marina and i noticed that my hubby turns off the battery switch and was wondering if thats the way it should be.

I turn my switch off. i like to make sure all power is disconnected. Be careful though the factory wiring has the bilge pump on the switch. with the switch off the pump was off. I rewired the pump to the hot side of the switch. so that is the only thing powered with the battery switch off.

The owners manual for my boat says that the bilge pump will work even with the switch turned off. I always try to remember to turn off the switch.

Mine claimed the pump would work too. I found out the hard way. I had to rewire it. Make sure before you leave it for any length of time.

I leave mine on. The radio in my 180 Challenger will draw power from the battery even if the radio is off. Pulling the face off the radio removes this issue. On my boat, the bilge pump will run even if the switch is off.

You didn't say for how long you leave the boat. I never leave the boat for a long time (as in leaving it docked and going home to come back another weekend). So, I just leave the switch on. At home, when the boat is in the garage, I turn the switch off.

Your bilge should be rigged up to a float switch and direct feed to the battery. Just incase.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I turn my switch off. i like to make sure all power is disconnected. Be careful though the factory wiring has the bilge pump on the switch. with the switch off the pump was off. I rewired the pump to the hot side of the switch. so that is the only thing powered with the battery switch off.

There's bilge pumps that start automatically when they feel resistance "WATER" I personally don't trust them. Float switch is the way forward on boats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back