RESTO Just picked up 1996 Challenger

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

az5oh

Just picked up a 1996 Challenger that has a hazy history, to the point that I want to be cautious about using it before giving it a good look through. The engine starts and runs strong (compression is 150 per cyl), but it's stuck in forward gear. Previous owner thought it needed new shifter cables, but I'm not certain based upon what I've read here.

What are some things I need to make sure to verify proper functioning before testing in-water?

- Clean RAVE valves?
- Engine compartment blower needs to be hooked up - how do I do this?
- Fix forward gear issue

- What else?

On the reverse bucket there is a small locking mechanism that "locks" the gate in forward. Sometimes it get stuck so check that. Should be on the left side of the gate right where the cable connects to the bucket. Not sure why seadoo ever even put those tabs on, I shaved mine off because they kept getting stuck.

Cleaning the RAVE's is always a good thing... But as far as "How to hook up the bilge blower"... well that's a VERY open ended question, since I don't know what's broke/missing/disconnected.

Thank you both for the replys here. I took some pictures over the weekend of loose wires in the engine bay and am hoping you can help diagnose locations.

Regarding the bucket, I tried moving it into a reverse position and was able to get it 50% there, but am confused as to where these tabs are located. Can you help?
image.jpg

Also regarding the shifter, this is the condition that I received it in. Does anyone have a diagram so that I can put it back together? Any idea what these wires are for hanging off of it?
image.jpg
image.jpg

Regarding the blower, from what I can see, the only fan/blower in the engine pay is on the starboard side here. Is this correct?
image.jpg

Also, I discovered a few loose wires in the engine bay yesterday. I'm wondering if folks have any idea about what these wires are for?
image.jpg

This runs from somewhere in the front of the boat, (presumably) the switch panel at the driver's helm.
image.jpg

Wow what a clusterf***. PO really screwed this thing up. In regards to the reverse bucket. The light grey rectangle looking piece is the part that keeps the bucket locked in forward. By pulling on the black "triangle" that the shifter cable is connected to you should be able to release this lock. If it's released, then the problem is your cable. To be sure, disconnect the cable from both the reverse gate and shifter and make sure they both move freely.

Also just noticed the entire control handle assembly is in backwards. Spin it around and reconnect the cables. You should be able to trace the throttle cable back to the engine. The other cables should be pretty easy to distinguish too.

The bilge blower should plug into the black and yellow hanging from the blower into the wire hanging next to it, the wires on the shifter should be the neutral safety switch, and im not sure on the other wires because theyre in a weird spot but my bilge pump has black and brown with a similar black connector on it.

You definitely need a Service Manual for the boat. I have the card copy of my book, but I understand you can pull the PDF of the book from the site if you pay a small fee. However you get a hold of the book, You need it and you want it!!

Good Luck!

I agree with snikwad003. My bilge pump wires are brown and black. Just worked on it yesterday.

Attachments

• 20160731_193821.jpg
    20160731_193821.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 34
Worst comes to worst most marine outfits sell the same blower and bilge pump that brp used in 96 you can buy new ones and hook them directly up to the switches

First ride on the water? Here ya go:

1) Ensure that the hull plugs are in.
2) Make sure the oil injection system is working 100%, or use pre-mix to be sure you dont fry a motor.
3) Bring a fire extinguisher, paddles, a rope, a buddy boat, and life vests.
4) Bring extra spark plugs, tools, and starting fluid.
5) Make sure you have plenty of fuel.
6) bring a spare car battery and some jumper cables.
8) Stay close to shore for a while, in case it catches fire or breaks down.
9) Make sure your life vest has a whistle attached to it.
10) Bring emergency supplies that you deem necessary for the surroundings and situation.

Hi Guys, I had to replace my bilge blower because it seized up after 20 years. I have a 96 Challenger and I'm trying to figure out if these are supposed to be blowing fresh air into the engine bay or sucking the fumes out. To me I think it should be sucking the fumes out but from the looks of the old one it was pushing air into the engine bay.

Wanted to revive this thread a bit as I have had some other projects that have consumed my time and I'm just now back to the boat. The biggest outstanding question I have is related to these wires. PO ran some (janky) red wires outside of the main loom to the bilge. Appears he only hooked one up.

Still trying to find the purpose of these two sets of wires. Thought they could be the original wires going to the bilge, but there are four between these two connectors and the current set up on the bilge only uses two. Any idea what these could be going to?

image.jpg

As a reference, they come from the same loom as do the wires hooked up to this:

image.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back