Jet pump oil seal question

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

bendoggie117

Just replaced my jet pump bearing for the first time and all the seals. The dealer said one of my part numbers (oil seal) super seeded to a newer part number. This one looks entirely different than mine. I’ll attach photos of my old one vs new. My old one didn’t have an open side but the new one does. Which way is the right way of does it not matter which way the open part faces?

Attachments

• IMG_0079.jpeg
    IMG_0079.jpeg
    23.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0078.jpeg
    IMG_0078.jpeg
    10.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0077.jpeg
    IMG_0077.jpeg
    10.1 KB · Views: 4
Ok. I did what digdog said. So that’s wrong. I’ll have to change it to what jakgal04 said. What happens if you do it the way I did? I noticed my carbon seal/ring is vibrating like crazy but this can’t be because of flipping that seal right?

I'm not sure how much of an impact it would have in terms of water sealing, but it certainly shouldn't impact your carbon seal.

There's a few things that can cause that. The stainless steel floating ring isn't seating fully on the C clip, the seal is unevenly worn, or the engine is out of alignment.

You can check to see if the floating ring isn't seated correctly by giving the driveshaft a pretty hard yank outwards once you have the jet pump off. That'll seat it. If that doesn't fix it, you'll gave to check the seal for uneven wear and the engine alignment.

Ya I just changed out the seal myself last year and done it before without problems. I hope it’s not the alignment but it is a 2006 ski. Kinda old. I’ll try seating it and changing out the pto rubber stopper too

Gonna have to check when I get back from vacation. Btw do you have an alignment tool I could rent or know of a forum member who does? I’d hate to pay $320 just to use once or twice

I don't unfortunately. The last time I did my alignment I had rented one as well. I may end up buying one next especially now that people come to me for repairs all the time lol

I would buy it if I could rent it out locally. I just bought the cheap DIY alignment tool for $61 with tax/shipping so I’ll give that a go. If you search seadoo diy alignment tool on YouTube you’ll see what I’m talking about. Then maybe I’ll buy the actual tool to see if it’s right

Back