Jet Pump Lubrication: You want me to do what!?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

mkov608

With the riding season over for the majority of us, it’s time to do all the required post-season maintenance. Speaking from experience, proper post-season maintenance ensures an uneventful post-winter storage launch, reduced mechanical problems, and a more enjoyable riding season next year. Not too long ago, I came across a thread concerning jet pump bearing lubrication. One of the individuals recommended that for those of us who own skis with grease-filled pumps to cut the grease quantity in half and to fill up the remainder with oil. Instead of responding outright as to the error of that recommendation, I decided to do a little research and then report back to the group with information from the experts (professional engineers). The bottom line of my research is simple; follow your Sea-Doo service manual’s recommendations for type and quantity of lubrication, and be careful when following the advice of a non-credentialed individual who is telling you to “try this” or “try that”. After all, jet-pump parts are expensive!

Specifically, I found my information on the Timken and SKF bearing websites, with the additional support directly from an SKF engineer via their website. Special thanks go out to Joe McKnight, who is a mechanical engineer who works for BASF.

First, let’s discuss the qualities of oil verses grease.

Synthetic oil: Several characteristics make oil the best choice for jet pump bearings. The RPM of the jet pump bearing, oils inability to absorb water, and its ability to flush and cool the bearing make it the best choice.

Synthetic Grease: Grease also works in jet pumps based on the speed and load on the bearing, and its inability to absorb water, but it will not match oils heat wicking/cooling or flushing ability. The one thing grease has going for it is its tackiness/stickiness. If there is a seal failure (like I experience), grease will stay in the bearing and protect it for a longer period of time. My personal though here is that heat isn’t that big of a problem for jet pump bearings since the vanes in the pump serve as a type of radiator and there is a constant flow of water through the pump to keep it cool.

Second, let me cover what happens in a jet pump where someone takes it upon themselves to mix oil and grease. Depending on the type of oil and grease used, mixing the two has the potential to make very dangerous cocktail where the chemicals in the grease mix with those in the oil and they attack each other. This worst case scenario could spell disaster for the pump seals and the bearing.

The next thing that happens is that the oil will break down the grease “The oil will break down the grease in short order (Like adding too much water to cement) - greases normally have high EP (Extreme Pressure) ratings because they are in a base thickener. Regardless, it will change all the critical qualities for both the oil and grease.”

The last thing (another potential jet pump killer) is: “If there is too much oil (covers more than 30-50% of the bearing) - it will boil the bearing and destroy it because it can’t get rid of heat.”

Whatever you do, don’t believe me! Do your own research, especially when someone is advising you to deviate from your Sea-Doo service manual. Following the service procedures in your Sea-Doo or Clymer shop manual will yield years of trouble-free service.

Here are the links to the Timken and SKF sites:
http://www.timken.com/en-us/products/lubrication/Pages/faq.aspx
http://www.skf.com/us/products/lubrication-solutions/lubricants/index.html

I just received an update from SKF on an alternative to XP-S grease. For those of you who are not near a Sea-Doo dealership or want to save some money on overpriced grease. Here is what SKF recommends.

"ExxonMobil produces a product Mobilith SHC 100 that also matches the XPS and factory fill specifications." If you are wondering what "factory fill" means, here's SKF's total reply."

"Hello Mark,
Sorry for the delay in responding.

I was able to locate a MSDS for the XPS grease. It has a lithium complex thickener with a consistency of NLGI 1.5. Base oil is semi-synthetic, however, I could not locate the specification for base oil viscosity (ie., ISO VG xxx). The BAH 5000 BB is a special designed double row angular contact ball bearing basically referred to as a "hub unit". I was able to locate the specifications...especially noting the bearing is supplied from SKF with a specific grease fill. The grease SKF uses is lithium complex thickened with a NLGI grade 1 - 2 consistency, using a mineral base oil with an ISO VG 100 viscosity specification.

It appears the Sea-Doo XPS product is basically compatible with the factory fill grease. If you prefer not to use the XPS grease, then recommend obtain a grease from a reputable supplier...ExxonMobil, Shell, etc.. For example, ExxonMobil produces a product Mobilith SHC 100 that also matches the XPS and factory fill specifications.

I agree with your assessment of not mixing grease and oil. Ultimately, it's the base oil in the grease that is responsible for lubricating the bearing. Not sure why anyone would recommend mixing grease and oil, unless it's something that Sea-Doo requires for the sealing arrangement.

Best regards,
Mark"

Application Engineering

SKF Service Division
P.O. Box 352, Lansdale PA 19446
Tel: 888-753-2000
Fax: 267-436-6027
askengineeringhotline@skf.com

Do as you wish....... I for one changed all the grease to 2oz of synthetic oil on my RXP from 2004 and on my Speedster boat. Both have ZERO issues. The info where people mix grease and oil is to make the liquid more of a runny paste but straight oil is just fine. Hell all the older sea doo's used oil filled to the tip of the hole on the pump cone. There are plenty of people who have done this. Check out the green hulk forums including the owner himself.

Oil for sure is an excellent alternative to grease, and nobody said that the conversion was a bad idea. My point, that you obviously skipped over, was that mixing the two is a bad idea as it can change the lubricating properties of both. "More of a runny paste" isn't what lubricates the bearing. Even with grease filled bearings, it isn't the grease but rather the base oil in the grease that lubricates the bearing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back