Is the pump bearing supposed to come apart?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beerbatter

Hello All,
Newbee on the forum. I'm working on a 2008 GTI SE 155, and I had to remove the pump main bearing. Is this bearing supposed to come apart as shown in the picture? The bearing looks to be in perfect condition and goes together and feels good I was just surprised to see it come apart like this. Or am I needing a new bearing. Thanks for any feedback.

Attachments

• 20200728_110824.jpg
    20200728_110824.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 18
  • 20200728_110806.jpg
    20200728_110806.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 22
Hey and thanks for the reply. I watched that exact same video before I posted the question, but the video leaves the question open. Both the removal of the old bearing and the installation of the new bearing can be done exactly as he's showing even if the bearing comes apart. The video is inconclusive because he never holds the bearing only by the outer race, which would allow it to come apart. When the bearing is on the shaft the inner races hold it all together. Likewise as he's installing the new bearing, he holds the new bearing by the ends, keeping the inner races in, and as he presses the inner races onto the shaft, again that holds it all together. So you cannot tell from the video weather the bearing is allowed to come apart or not. Thanks again.

Personally, I have NEVER had a bearing come apart like that as you show without it being trashed. BUT.....I cannot say with 100% certainty that your bearing is not designed to do that, but it just "feels" wrong that the races would come apart like that....unless it's truly designed to be greased back up and re-assembled. :rolleyes: I just don't know.....

I know. I think I may try and contact the guy that made the YouTube video. The ball bearings themselves are contained in plastic cages and those are inside the outer race just fine. The inner races just slide in the ends and everything feels good. It appears that the shaft is what holds it all together. But again as you say, I just don't know for sure. I can buy a new bearing, but they're not necessarily cheap and this one looks like it's in perfect condition so I guess I'll keep investigating just a little longer. Thanks again guys.

Thanks for the reply Chester. I keep hoping somebody is going to say that's how it is supposed to be because the more I look at it the more I am convinced that it is normal for it to come apart. There's nothing about this bearing I can possibly think of that would keep the inner races together other than the shaft being pressed in it. Thanks again.

Well, well, looky what I found, mystery confirmed that my bearing is supposed to come apart. Here is a picture of a new bearing sold by SBT, which shows a little blue temporary plastic insert that holds the inner races in the bearing all together until you're ready to install it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200810-082735.png
    Screenshot_20200810-082735.png
    2 MB · Views: 13
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back