Installing regular marine battery in pwc?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

greyrider

Has anyone put a regular marine (boat size) battery in a pwc ? is it a problem? just wondering since the small pwc batteries never last. Are marine batts the same cca's usually?
My rig already weighs a ton so i am not concerned with the added weight.

please chime in with thoughts

thanks
bobby

Battery life...?

Has anyone put a regular marine (boat size) battery in a pwc ? is it a problem? just wondering since the small pwc batteries never last. Are marine batts the same cca's usually?
My rig already weighs a ton so i am not concerned with the added weight.

please chime in with thoughts

thanks
bobby

The PWC battery and standard deep cycle battery may last about the same, depending on what type battery you get. I bought a fairly expensive battery for my PWC and it lasted 3 years. I then replaced it with the ElCheapo from Walmart and it only lasted through the season. I brought it back out in spring and it was dead.

I believe battery life is dependant on what type battery, like a gel or lead acid.:cheers:

just going on experience - my batteries in my boat have always lasted for many years, whereas no matter how diligent i am with the yussa(sp) (or whatever kind) little ones never make it more that a season or two...
thanks snipe

Size & Weight

I would think that the size of a regular boat battery would be an issue not sure what the compartment of a LRV looks like but mabey it wouldn't be. The weight of a normal size battery would most likely make your ski a little lop sided, I know you said that you ski is already heavy but why make it heavier? I took some advice from kustomkarl and went with a gel cell and it was worth the money I spent on it. Went great all season with no problems, never had to charge it and it stayed connected to the ski all season, there was time that I did not use the ski for about 3 weeks and it always started right up.

Last edited by a moderator:
battery on an lrv is directly in the center of the hull, right below where you sit... i am just sick of these little ones going bad - already weighs over 900lbs empty... most of the time my kids are riding this so i would sacrifice 1mph to ensure a start when they are at the rope swing accross the river.

i guess my question should have been about cca differences with marine vs pwc batteries, and if any diff would mess with my mpem

thanks for the thoughts

Battery

Using a larger 12VOLT battery will not cause any harm to your electrical system. The only issue will be securing the larger battery so that it will not move around. Yes, your putting this battery in a very large ski but even very large skis' can be flipped over. If you cannot secure this battery so that it can stay in place in the event of a roll over then DON'T USE IT!!!!
DAWG

thanks - i would definitely put in a new tray/box to secure it

ps - have never rolled it. i think if i ever did the instructions on the sticker how to upright it would be useless since i would probably be in no shape to do it after whatever i hit to cause it to roll...

thanks
see ya

Greyrider, If you've never rolled, you're probably lucky. We rolled ours once doing nothing more than turning around at idle speed. At the time we had 3 on board and I was very surprised how that extra person changed the center of gravity. Once it reached a certain point of lean, there was no coming back. I just wish someone had a camcorder, it would have been worth $10,000. The point is, as others have said, gotta make sure the battery is secure and also that it can't leak acid if you do have a roll over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back