Inspire me 1997 SPX

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

etemplet

Premium Member
Premium Member
I dunno, you guys have inspired me some but I need some support if I'm gonna take on this one. :D 1997 SPX 5834. I bought it for 50 bucks no trailer but can register the ski. I have lots of skis to work on but I might be cool to do this one up right. After what I"ve seen you guys do with restoring the getcoat I'm curious if any of that would work on this body. :) Thoughts?? scrap it?1997 SPX Junk (1).JPEG1997 SPX Junk (2).JPEG1997 SPX Junk (3).JPEG1997 SPX Junk (4).JPEG

As long as there are no structural issues it will clean up just fine.
The 1997 SPX is reported to be the lightest and fastest X4 as the hull was thinner and lighter and the waterbox is a one year better flowing design.

As long as the gelcoat hasn't bubbled around the foot-wells, should be good. That seat looks like it's in great shape. You can just buy some cheap marine vinyl and redo it. Easy-peasy. White gelcoat is easiest color to restore and the yellow doesn't get as damaged since it's lower and doesn't get direct sunrays. PWCGraphics.com makes amazing decal kits for these. It'll look better than new. The engine should clean up nicely too, and looks all original. That's a big plus. Be careful removing corroded nuts. If it was salt water, get ready for broken bolts. Use penetrating oil and impact guns with good allen keys. Shitty allen keys will round out the bolts and leave you in a tight spot. Get a good pressure washer, like 3500 psi and blast that thing clean. You'll be surprised how much that alone will do for it.

Nice score for $50, time and money will make it sweet. For me that would be complete strip down resto, and not one that would make it for this season. Since it's the smallest hull, that makes it less work to get it cleaned up. Most of the bottom should polish up nice after some extensive wet sanding, may need a quart of fresh yellow gelcoat on the keel and middle, I'm sure it's chewed up. Pull the rub rails off, decals, mats, die grind and fill the rivet holes with marine tex. I wouldn't waste much time trying to bring out the white on top. Sand the crap out of it smooth and slap a fresh coat of white gelcoat on it, will run about $100 for a gallon. Strip the engine, media blast all the parts, reverse and put it together. Splurge on some cool graphics from pwcgraphics, Mike has a good selection for the X4 hulls. Hydro turf mats and seat cover in order.

Potentially a sweet little ski, like that 97', it's $50 right now, but I see a really nice ski for about a $1500 budget and some laboring weekends to get it right.

Noooooo don't paint it with gelcoat! Unless you have the equipment and know-how, don't! I did that with my 95XP800 and created soooo much more work for myself. If anything, paint it with awlGrip. It shoud lay down way flatter. I had to sand my entire hull after trying to spray it with new gel. I ended up rolling it on since the gun didn't play well. The extreme amount of orange peel when rolling makes you have to sand so much that the end result is no better than paint. If you know how to paint, do that. Otherwise, just try to buff it out. It should clean up nicely. White is pretty easy to bring back. This was my first "fun" ski. It'll put a huge grin on your face if you've never ridden an X4 before. It's a cult-classic and you'll soon understand why. Do a resto, don't cut corners, and you'll love this ski. It really is a good time.

What are the hull types? Not all of them but the original 88 up through 95?

You guys have more beat up DOOs hanging out gathering dust than we have in the whole state.

As for inspiration???

Be one with the machine, listen to it's spirit, see it's vision, bring it to life, harness the power and don't let the Wife see the receipts.

Be one with the machine, listen to it's spirit, see it's vision, bring it to life, harness the power and don't let the Wife see the receipts.

I was listening but wasn't "hearing" anything on this ski so I asked you guys. :D Ya'll saved it's life. I is in the group headed for the scrap yard. Somewhere among the scattered skis is ONE that is going to have a Black bottom and a 3 stage top metallic green. I can't find a picture of the ski I saw like that and I'm not a fan of green but it was bad azz!! :D

I ended up rolling it on since the gun didn't play well.

Exact reason I rolled instead of spraying. To each as own, gelcoat is the way to go for me, turned out nice and it's durable. Little trial and error at first with the GTX and lots of time doing complete bottom and top, went better doing the GSX the following year, since the bottom didn't take me as long and less coverage area on top. Beginning the season I'll pull them out wash, wax and I'm good until next season. Paint doesn't hold up, they were gelcoated from the factory, so I figured re gelcoating makes it like a new ski.

To me that X4 hull may just need new gelcoat on top, since the sun kills it pretty bad after 23 yrs. Much of bottom wet sanding should do it, maybe some work on the keel. When I put the new white gelcoat on my skis, the old was dull in comparison, to the point you need to wear sunglasses looking at it.

Attachments

• P5060209.JPG
    P5060209.JPG
    161.8 KB · Views: 23
  • 20190310_180637.jpg
    20190310_180637.jpg
    919.3 KB · Views: 25
  • 20190602_112524.jpg
    20190602_112524.jpg
    913.2 KB · Views: 26
don't let the Wife see the receipts.

This is good advice. It's all about optics...I have only 2, with a nice double trailer. I'd like to have an X4 hull like that 97' SPX, but I'd never hear the end of it. "A third ski? are you nuts? I'm going get a new MK handbag..."

I was listening but wasn't "hearing" anything on this ski so I asked you guys. :D Ya'll saved it's life. I is in the group headed for the scrap yard. Somewhere among the scattered skis is ONE that is going to have a Black bottom and a 3 stage top metallic green. I can't find a picture of the ski I saw like that and I'm not a fan of green but it was bad azz!! :D

Was it this one?
IMG_0028.JPG

Might have been. It's in the sunshine and not in the paint booth. I remember it being a little more green but like I said the sun can pull out the metallic and change the color. Looks Great though !

Might have been. It's in the sunshine and not in the paint booth. I remember it being a little more green but like I said the sun can pull out the metallic and change the color. Looks Great though !

Mines actually a color that seadoo used on the rxp or t’s. Apple green. Has a nice yellow tint wen in the sun.

So back in Aug 2019 you said...

"I just gave a guy a 1997 SPX with titles and registration. After looking at the ski further I told him... Ski is junk. All the parts are there though.... but to me it isn't worth fixing up."

So you went out and bought another 1997 SPX? this one in the thread? or did you buy the ski you gave away back for $50?

BTW - I want in when you decide to give a ski away for free like a 1997 SPX with everything still on it. Also, I have a friend in Walker, LA just down the road from you looking for a fixer upper 3 seater. Anything else you have you don't want to keep and put money in and looking to get rid of it?. PM me what you have..

Last edited:
So back in Aug 2019 you said...

"I just gave a guy a 1997 SPX with titles and registration. After looking at the ski further I told him... Ski is junk. All the parts are there though.... but to me it isn't worth fixing up."

So you went out and bought another 1997 SPX? this one in the thread? or did you buy the ski you gave away back for $50?

BTW - I want in when you decide to give a ski away for free like a 1997 SPX with everything still on it. Also, I have a friend in Walker, LA just down the road from you looking for a fixer upper 3 seater. Anything else you have you don't want to keep and put money in and looking to get rid of it?. PM me what you have..

Just a Friendly FYI, Etemplet has blocked you so he isn't going to see anything that you post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back