Injection oil question

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

cj3737

Been reading up on the injection oil debate...

In my GSI cargo hold, I found this bottle...
xfnxw0-EBIaCE0fVxEZD1lDHQsLCx8eGwkDVwFZGxIBCh5RVwcKC1hZFQcJHQQfSl9BHkcAK1Y9J0B_Fg8bSj9UISMvJ0E...jpg
Or this.. cant rememeber exactly...
$_1.JPG

Does anyone know if this is the old mineral or synthetic? The oil is blue and Ive read blue oil is bad..

I also found what seemed to be a couple XPS bottles in my other ski, but that oil is blue as well...
Can someone shed some light? Thanks!

I'm not sure if that bottle was mineral or synthetic... It might be older than me lol.

Anyways, yes blue oil = bad. API-TC only.

Based on the age of those bottle the PO may have been refilling them. Some marinas in my area offer bulk oil prices if you bring your own container.

When i got my ski it was full of blue oil.

The old bottle came out of the GSI I just fixed the diode in... Dont think its operated since early 2000s.. prolly left in there so they bought the same later on... 20 years later... :) Reason I ask is because its whats called for in the manual...blue or not...

Last edited:
Pretty sure thats old mineral oil. The container then changed to all yellow but had the same label on it.

Pretty sure thats old mineral oil. The container then changed to all yellow but had the same label on it.
Thanks.. Ill have to take a closer look when I get home to see if there is any verbage I cant see in the pix.

So yes and no.

Those bottles are 100% mineral oil and is old and was never blue. It was always golden color so if it is blue it has been refilled.

Also there has never been a blue API-TC rated oil. If it is blue it is the wrong TCW-3 oil and must be flushed and changed.

So yes and no.

Those bottles are 100% mineral oil and is old and was never blue. It was always golden color so if it is blue it has been refilled.

Also there has never been a blue API-TC rated oil. If it is blue it is the wrong TCW-3 oil and must be flushed and changed.
Just checked it... oil in the tank is more of a green color if that matters...

Green is just a bad, that is typically Maxima Marine Pro that is also the wrong TCW-3 oil. You are looking for Red, Gold or Purple if it is Mystic.

Cool... looks like they mixed blue with gold or whatever... either way I drained it out as best I could from the tank and all the lines.. have some xps blend I'm gonna throw in there for the rest of the season... my other one is definitely blue :/... looks like I'll be running to get another gallon

Cool... being the gsi hadn't run for years, I'm hoping only a minimal amount of the green stuff made it thru and the remainder will be burnt off and flushed out... not too to sure about the gts...not sure how long the blue goo has been in there... not sure if either was synthetic but I'll prolly go that route since mineral to syn is ok but not the other way around. The gts may only be in my th garage until I get the gs running and both may be out the door

FWIW - and I obviously can't prove this since it's long used up - back in 2004, the first gallon of oil I purchased for my Sea Doo came in the same shape jug as shown in the top post, but it was yellow, and came with a spout. It was Bombardier-branded XPS injection oil, and it had a greenish colour to it.

So - it seems, at one time, Bombardier did supply green/blue coloured oil.

I have been using the XPS and XPS full synthetic since the 90's. The mineral has always been golden in color. THe XPS Synthetic was golden in color then in about 2008 they changes suppliers and it became red. I have never seen the seadoo oil green or blue.

Anyone have experience with these oils as a sub for XPS?

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...ducts-sae-20-2-cycle-oil/10115/4419759?pos=12

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...t-snowmobile-oil-snowmobile-oil/03151/2620110

Not necessarily trying to get cheap here but itll be nice to know whats "authorized" and available nearby..

THe Lucas oil is perfectly fine in the 720 and smaller engines. I don't know about the Castrol but I would not use it unless it only says API-TC rating. Either way you can't mix different brands so flush the system and change the oil filter first.

I have been using the XPS and XPS full synthetic since the 90's. The mineral has always been golden in color. THe XPS Synthetic was golden in color then in about 2008 they changes suppliers and it became red. I have never seen the seadoo oil green or blue.

Yeah, I don't know what to tell you there - and like I said, it's all long gone by now (so I can't prove it!), but the jug looked like this:
V_2S312aaEgh8gY.wct.jpeg

And it was a dark coloured oil (ie. not brown). I don't recall if it was synthetic or not.

The reason it sticks out in my mind is because shortly after, they changed to a white jug with a similar label (at my local dealer), I remember opening it and seeing brown and wondering if I got motor oil and not injection oil.

THe Lucas oil is perfectly fine in the 720 and smaller engines. I don't know about the Castrol but I would not use it unless it only says API-TC rating. Either way you can't mix different brands so flush the system and change the oil filter first.

Why can't just the tank and filter just be changed, won't the small amount of oil left in the injection lines/pump be quickly used up and not really be consequential?

Unless it gels in the lines. There is a bleed screw on the pump that will get the air out and most of the old oil. THen just start the ski and let it idle while holding the oil pump lever full open and it will quickly clear the small lines to the intake manifold.

This amsoil says its compatible with BRP engines... It also says its formulated for API TC and TCW3... but its blue... thoughts?

Synthetic 2-Stroke Injector Oil

Hi, got a 2001 GTI, 717 cc engine. Brand new engine, have to fill oil, does anybody know what kind of two stroke oil, seems like a mineral oil might work. Could this be replaced with synthetic two stroke oil for snowmobile?
Stores is closed now, eager to go for a ride :)

I got a bottle of the lucas.... but.... it is blue... says it exceeds api tc standards...

The Lucas api-tc is fine.

I bought Lucas today based on your post. I can buy it by $10 quarts and $30 gallons so it's convenient by both price and by size based on what I need. I can't always get to the stealer or race shop, but I can get to Oreilys any time and anywhere so that was good info. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back