Ingested water twice.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

quintonvincent

On my new boat, on first start up the port motor ran, but very rough. I went thru the carbs and found that the fuel return was plugged on one and cleaned all jets and fuel pumps. After that it took some cranking and then ran rough for 20 seconds and then smoothed out I turned on the water hose and ran it for about a minute or so and satisfied that it was running good I shut off the water and then shut off the engine. I excitedly drove to the boat ramp and backed in the boat and it would not start. The plugs were wet so I swapped them out a few times and cranked it without the plugs in to clear any moisture. I cranked a few times and when I realized it wasn't going to start I went home.

At home I pulled the plugs and hit the starter and had a geyser of water blasting out of both jugs.

My questions are:

Could this have been caused by me running the water hose at too high a pressure? I plugged it in at the bottom of the transom and left the cap on the top inlet. (didn't know the top one was there)

If so why did it still run fine when I shut it down?

Maybe there is something blocking the exhaust and keeping water in there?

Water only came out of the cylinders AFTER I tried to start it in the water multiple times. Could I have filled the exhaust while cranking and never built enough pressure to expel it?

Is there any common gasket or hose that can let water into the motor that fails that I can check?

Thanks!
Q

I haven't had one of this type of engine for a while, but isn't there a couple of hoses that need to have clamps on them when you run on the hose? check your manual for details on the correct procedure. but.... since they engine was running fine when on the hose and the hose was turned off before you turned off the engine, I would say that maybe something else is going one. is it possible there is a problem with some gaskets in your engine? I guess this is what you are asking.

its important to recover from having water in your engine. check your manual and run your engine a bit to get it cleared out and dry. you don't want to let it stay wet too long or your engine could seize.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back