Impeller rubbing on housing - pulled up a rock - repair or replace?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hubby

Hi Sea Doo folks,
I just purchased a 2004 Sportster LE DI that is just plain a BLAST. {{{Big Grin}}}

Unfortunately, this weekend was my first pulling a tube and the 'designated' rope-watcher didn't see the line going under the boat and yup, right around the driveshaft... Pulling off the grate and getting the rope out was pretty easy. I did notice it broke the plastic sleeve over the drive shaft but wasn't sure if was required, so I didn't really sweat it much. I also noticed the gasket/packing where the shaft went into the boat had a loose little tail hanging out, but didn't think too much of it, either...

All was well until I put it back in the water and gave it some throttle - lots of vibrations - but then mostly, the vibrations went away.... {{bummer}}.
So, with help from these forums, I pulled the jet drive apart and a rock the size of my pinky nail rolled out, (not sure where it came from) with a piece of the drive shaft sleeve. The impeller seems to be in great shape, but it rubs on one side of the plastic sleeve, inside the housing, when the fan rotates around to that spot (The impeller does not have the damage) . I'm not sure if I should try to sand-paper down that spot, if the shaft sleeve needs to be replaced and if someone makes a rebuilt impeller assy that I should just swap in, or ? ?

If anyone has any experience and thoughts on what best to do, I'd appreciate your expertise in getting "Scooby" back in the water.

Thanks!!!
IMG_2057-sm.jpg
IMG_2059-sm.jpg
IMG_2063.JPG

This is what I finally had done:
The removal of the drive housing and replacement of the wear ring was far easier than I first thought. #first timer - new wear ring: $50
Total time to remove from the boat, replace and reinstall - maybe 2 - 3 hours.
Using the freezer method made the wear ring replacement quite easy - off and on.
I will get the boat back in the water soon and hopefully, that will be the end of it.
(I'm learning...)

The Hubby

Well...

Congrats on your first fix. Feels good to do it yourself.

As far as the rope... it happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back