Impeller and Shaft Engagement?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just finished replacing the wear ring on my 2003 GTI LE RF 787I, and I noticed the shaft was not engaged fully with the impeller. There is a gap between the end of the boot and the flared part of the shaft. Is this normal? The pump seems to be seated against the hull properly.

20200602_171404.jpg

I just replaced the wear ring in my 97 GSX and the driveshaft to impeller connection looks about the same to me. I think you will probably be ok.

No, you are probably missing the rubber driveshaft bumper or have one stuck in either the PTO or impeller. It should not be sticking out like that and will wash all the grease out of the impeller splines.

No, you are probably missing the rubber driveshaft bumper or have one stuck in either the PTO or impeller. It should not be sticking out like that and will wash all the grease out of the impeller splines.
You are correct about the bumper. I took this photo knowing I was missing the bumper on the impeller end. I've ordered a new one and will replace it when it comes in. But shouldnt the missing bumper only prevent the shaft from moving too far into the impeller?

I never removed the shaft from the motor end, so I have to assume that bumper is still in place.

Unfortunately, I have know idea how much engagement there was before I started working on it. I bought the ski a few years ago and this was the first time pulling the pump. For all I know, the bumper was missing previously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back