Immediate Attention Requested - Salt-Water Contamination Issue

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Understood Michael. I may go ahead and do that since I mustered enough courage to extract the intercooler myself.

Enough of these ripoff mechanics & Stealerships..... swapping intercoolers, changing oil & filters, changing sparkplugs and a host of other simple things can be performed by any amateur, like myself. I finally had that revelation this weekend after getting pissed and pulling out the intercooler myself.

So I ran a pressure test on the intercooler, after having extracted it and with 10 PSI of pressure it was surely leaking. The leaking was occurring where the inlet and outlet are. My chief concern was whether I would have enough clearance to pull out the intercooler, without having to move the fuel tank out of the way. At least the engineers had some type of forethought there and left enough clearance to extract the intercooler without too much fuss.

I will continue shopping for some used intercoolers now that I have a pressure tester and the defective intercooler out of the watercraft. Meanwhile though, a new one is on order and set to be received on Thursday of next week; whichever comes first, I reckon. :)

**** 2 important things I need answers to please ****

#1 - As I was working on the watercraft, I dropped a part down into the hull. I reached down into the hull to retrieve the part and although I recovered it, I also located a very thin rubber hose that was just hanging around in the hull below the engine not connected to anything on one end. I followed the hose to the other end and although I was unable to tell where it was originating from, it looked as if it was in and around the fuel tank. Anyone have any idea what this hose is for? And why is it just hanging at the bottom of the hull unconnected to anything?

I have pulled the hose up from underneath the engine and made a short video of it, so please take a look.

#2- My mechanic mentioned to me that he dismounted the engine and used the cherry-picker to lift it out. But, as I was reaching below the engine with my bare hand I noticed a shit-load of engine oil caked onto the fiberglass Hull beneath the engine. I have reason to believe that he never took the engine out and instead loosend the engine in the hull, enough so that he was able to unscrew the oil pressure regulator plug and swap out the parts, all the while making a mess since the engine oil must have been seeping out into the hull. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Would there be any reason for engine oil to sit at the bottom of the hull, in the event of an intercooler failure and saltwater contamination?

[video=youtube;6_elE_XIN40]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_elE_XIN40[/video]

Is your battery sealed? There's a vent line that can be hooked up to the battery (that's what it looks like to me). If you look under the rub-rail along the front right side of the bow you'll find 2 vent holes under the rail. 1 is for the battery vent, and if memory serves the other is for the fuel tank vent. If your battery is the newer sealed type and has no vent port, just double that line up and zip-tie it together so it's kinked closed. Mine's this way.

About the oily mess in the bottom of your hull, I rather imagine your engine has a slow leak... the way you describe it, it doesn't sound like fresh oil to me but more like a slow drip accumulating old oil.

Congrats on pulling the intercooler out yourself! You're now a SeaDoo mechanic! Well, on your way at least. :-D

The more you do on it yourself, the more you'll learn how to do on it. Truely it's not rocket science. Get a service manual CD off Ebay or wherever, they're full of useful info you'll want to have on hand (all bolt torque specs, torquing procedures and patterns to follow, etc.).

- Michael

Last edited by a moderator:
My battery is a brand-new sealed battery, just installed last month....$140! I think it may be the gel-type.

I probably did a poor job in describing the oil accumulation. But I assure you it is not an old slow oil leak that has been accumulating. I had the engine taken out of the watercraft one month ago and the hull was clean and dry. The oil presence underneath the engine is new. It either happened as a result of my intercooler going bad and causing a chain of events or, my mechanic bullshited me, and never took out the engine to cleanse it of any salt presence, rather, he just unscrewed the mounting bolts, lifted the engine slightly with the cherry picker and switched out the oil pressure regulator beneath the PTO assembly allowing the engine oil to leak all over the place inside the hull.

I guess I will find out as soon as I have this thing running and back in the water. I just have to find a way to clean that area underneath really well with some type of solvent, get it nice and dry and then see if any oil accumulates in that area immediately after use, prior to flushing the inside of the hull with freshwater.

I have to find out what that miscellaneous hose is for and if it should be connected somewhere! It's frightening being 22 miles into the Pacific Ocean sportfishing, wondering if the disconnected hose you found in your watercraft is really supposed to be disconnected!-LOL

Thanks for the replies Michael!

Kefir

If you have a sealed gel battery, then that's the battery vent hose you're looking at Kefir. There's only 2 hoses that are that size line: the tank vent line and the battery vent line. The location and where it appears to be running to tells me it must be the battery vent line you're looking at.

Could be he didn't pull the engine completely out of the hull as you say, and wasn't smart enough to clean up the mess he left after changing that oil pressure regulator while still inside the hull. They make a biodegradable bilge cleaner you can use inside the hull to dissolve oil. I've seen it sold by Overton's.

- Michael

Thank you Michael!

I keep forgetting to include information, but the intercooler when i took it out had/has an oily film all around....is almost slippery to hold. Any thoughts as to why?

Kefir

Notta clue. Just natural slime buildup from ocean water leaking out onto it perhaps? Was there a pool of water inside the intake when you pulled the intercooler out?

- Michael

Michael has it correct. Battery vent hose that you no longer need. In order to access the oil regulator it is only nec to raise the engine approx. 4-5 inches. It is on the bottom of the engine all the way in the rear. It is not nec to completely remove the engine. It is normal for the inside of the intake plenum to feel oily. Crankcase fumes are vented into there.

I take that back....Reached with my hand into intake.....Good amount of water was in there.

Ah-hah! Thought so. Gonna towel it out or what? You best do an oil change too, there's got to be water in the oil already even if only a small amount... better be safe than sorry.

- Michael

Used a wet/dry vacto get it all out....Mike!-Dont say another oil change! I just had one performed. The ski has 10 minutes time on it with the new oil! The only water it has seen has been from a garden hose, as i ran it a total of 10 minutes for testing. Oil is clear and clean....Does feel to the touch like the viscosity is a little diluted...not sure....Any way to test it? Filter gotta go with the oil too? Just changed the spark plugs too after the previous ones had 4 hours on them.

I just noticed your #19 post where you say that water will be on top of the oil. Incorrect. Water in the engine will go to the bottom of the engine. Oil floats on top of water.
I would siphon a sample of oil from the BOTTOM of the engine (thru dip stick and ski level) and see what it looked like. I'm thinkin' it will be fine with only having been run for 10 minutes but it won't hurt to check.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well... I would change the oil and filter 1 more time if it were mine. The choice is yours though. The spark plugs are fine, they wouldn't be affected.

Yeah Dennis is right... I kept forgetting to mention that. Oil is lighter than water, but once oil and water are mixed up together they don't seperate again.

- Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back