Idle adjustment (1998 Sea Doo GTI 718cc)

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for a little help troubleshooting my problem. The Sea Doo starts & runs (after a few attempts) but when idle, she dies down unless I continuously rev the throttle. I'm assuming my Seadoo needs an idle adjustment....? Right? If so, can one of you let me know which screw or knob needs to be turned to adjust so it will stay at idle without me having to continuously rev the throttle?

The idle screw is the one right next to where the throttle cable bracket attaches. You want to adjust for about 3000rpm out of the water and 1500rpm in the water.

The idle screw is the one right next to where the throttle cable bracket attaches. You want to adjust for about 3000rpm out of the water and 1500rpm in the water.

Thanks for the info... What kind of tool do you need to check the RPMs. I'm not sure if my Seadoo has an RPM gauge. (but will check in the morning) I'll look for the throttle cable and follow it down to the bracket.

If you don’t have a tach, I’d recommend picking up something similar to a TinyTach. They’re available on amazon for $20-$25, and just wrap around a spark plug wire...

Thanks @JeremyD615. If I connect a water hose to the back of the seadoo while I do this adjustment, should the rpm be at 3000 or 1500? The seadoo is technically out of the water but I wasn't sure if using the hose in the back was essentially the same thing as being in the water.

On the hose, you should see about 3000rpm. It’s the load on the pump that lowers the idle, and the hose only runs water through the cooling system. Be aware that even on the hose, you shouldn’t run the ski out of the water for more than a couple of minutes. The carbon seal is not cooled when running on the hose, and can burn up fairly quickly...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back