I can't stop grinning........

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks great !! Post up on how you like it and how it rides. I have one just like it that needs work. :)

Thev rear plastic ride shoe, pump mounting plate. I pulled everything in back, removed all the original sealant and resealed everything with "right stuff" sealant. Let it all sit overnight and didn't have anybwayer get in fir three rides now.

How do you like it?? I"ve heard some people don't like these skis. They way they handle.

I have 2 of those. One is a 1999 carb the other is a 2003 DI. They are way back on the list of restorations.

How do you like it?? I"ve heard some people don't like these skis. They way they handle.

I have 2 of those. One is a 1999 carb the other is a 2003 DI. They are way back on the list of restorations.
I recently got my xpl running, here are my thoughts. In my collection I have a gsxl, x4, XPL, HX, 787 swapped HX, and polaris pro 785(140 hp, triple factory pipes, skat pump , it's a factory race ski,480 pounds, so not really comparable to xpl so ill leave it out of comparison). In terms of handling I love it, turns great and easily cuts through chop, I really like the hull for turning especially when compared to gsxl and x4. SUPER comfy ride. No where near as playful as my gsxl or x4 but that's to be expected. In terms of "snap" it dosnt "feel" as good as my gsxl or x4, don't get me wrong it certainly isn't sluggish but out of the hole my x4 will pull on it for a bit and my gsxl leaves it way behind. I put my skat 13-20 off of my gsxl on and it was better but still not as "snappy" as I like. It's also important to point out all my riding is usually on smaller lakes, jumping boat wakes and my own wake so out of the hole snap is very important to me. The XPL certainly does have a unique feel to it that makes it worthy to have in a collection.

I think the one I have has a BIG BORE engine. I've never messed with it yet. I sold the NOVI carbs to a friend that helped me out a lot. He is a member here. I'm gonna pull the head off and measure the bore on the engine one day soon. The shock absorber thing looks cool but dunno if it works well on the water. From my experience with the DI engines... I"d be the DI is faster stock. LOL Thanks for all the info I appreciate your sharing. That stuff is priceless !!

I bought this machine just for "fun". Sort of like a leap of faith given my life situation. I needed something new, interesting and in my realm of "hobbies" to keep my mind occupied on something hopeful. I have been seperated from my Wife and grown Children since last October, we are officially getting a disolutionment of our 25 year marriage in the near future.

My 94 XP is good enough for what I like to do, play, explore, I tweaked the nozzle so tail stands are a simple thing.

My old shop supervisor had this XP under plastic in the yard for 7 years and offered it to me for $500 including the pistons and gaskets for the top end rebuild. First thought was "I have to clear it with the Wife"......... But I don't have to??? So I acted in impulse and said "sold! I'll take it!". I have a 94 GTX that runs perfect but never use, I only keep it as a spare. Sold the GTX within an hour on CL and gave my friend the cash. I have ZERO experience with the engine and hull on this type of Sea-Doo, I didn't care. It represented the freedom on so many different levels.

So back to the original question. How do I like it?

I love it. However, It's not my "play" machine. I'm not setting it up to do tail stands, dive the nose under, do jumps, etc.

It is going to serve one purpose for me and that is high speed running and in that capacity it is everything I an looking for. Turns without sliding, good throttle response even at high throttle settings, goes through the chop I hit on the rivers without a problem.

I have $700 dollars into the machine. Everything works, nothing has a band aid on it. It's set up as the factory put it out the door except for a brass impeller liner I added. Cosmetics are a 90 on 100 scale.

Just what the doctor ordered for a time when the rest of life is going to s%$t.

People ask "why do you wear a helmet on the water"? Simple. I like to ride fast in tight areas and I have had a couple of rides end up in the tress well away from the water.

Last edited:

People ask "why do you wear a helmet on the water"? Simple. I like to ride fast in tight areas and I have had a couple of rides end up in the tress well away from the water.

Hang in there bro and enjoy your new ride. It is a great way to escape.

Doctor's orders were "go for a ride". Rain doesn't bug me, so I did.

This is the kind of riding I bought this XP for. I just need to find a "tighter" river to run it on.

Last edited:
I bought this machine just for "fun". Sort of like a leap of faith given my life situation. I needed something new, interesting and in my realm of "hobbies" to keep my mind occupied on something hopeful. I have been seperated from my Wife and grown Children since last October, we are officially getting a disolutionment of our 25 year marriage in the near future.

My 94 XP is good enough for what I like to do, play, explore, I tweaked the nozzle so tail stands are a simple thing.

My old shop supervisor had this XP under plastic in the yard for 7 years and offered it to me for $500 including the pistons and gaskets for the top end rebuild. First thought was "I have to clear it with the Wife"......... But I don't have to??? So I acted in impulse and said "sold! I'll take it!". I have a 94 GTX that runs perfect but never use, I only keep it as a spare. Sold the GTX within an hour on CL and gave my friend the cash. I have ZERO experience with the engine and hull on this type of Sea-Doo, I didn't care. It represented the freedom on so many different levels.

So back to the original question. How do I like it?

I love it. However, It's not my "play" machine. I'm not setting it up to do tail stands, dive the nose under, do jumps, etc.

It is going to serve one purpose for me and that is high speed running and in that capacity it is everything I an looking for. Turns without sliding, good throttle response even at high throttle settings, goes through the chop I hit on the rivers without a problem.

I have $700 dollars into the machine. Everything works, nothing has a band aid on it. It's set up as the factory put it out the door except for a brass impeller liner I added. Cosmetics are a 90 on 100 scale.

Nice vid bud

When I’m riding my gsxl I have been thinking about getting a helmet because when it’s rough ,you slam around a lot.

where did you get your helmet?

When I’m riding my gsxl I have been thinking about getting a helmet because when it’s rough ,you slam around a lot.

where did you get your helmet?
I just use my regular Helmet. Years ago I had one built for water but it's long gone.

We're gathered here today to remember the 98 xp......

It had a short life, a good life, and it will again next year.

It had a drinking problem and we need to send it out for rehab.

It got an airbox full if water and took out both pistons. 20210901_210108.jpg20210901_210047.jpg

If you wanna go big I got cylinders bored 3mm over. Looks like they were never installed. I have a performance head also, I forget which brand.

YOU GOTTA BE KIDDING!!!!!!!

Found out how the water got in so easy.

Not going to rely on that clip ever again.....

Actually I'm too old to get worked up. Bore, hone, new pistons and gaskets. Make sure I replace that clip with something that locks the air box in place. Slap it back together and the smile will be back soon enough.

20210919_194055.jpg

The clip works fine but you have to install the cotter pin that locks it in place. #33.

2001 SeaDoo XP Parts Catalog.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back