Hull paint/repair

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Austrian Rotax

so I bought a 99 spx like 2 years ago and the hull repair that the previous owner did failed within a couple hours (only used some glue of some sort and left the mangled glass unrepaired). After repairing the hull with 10 layers of bi-axial cloth now I need to restore it cosmetically. Im not too concerned with cosmetics as the hull is a mess of scratches underneath and I didn't care but since I have the hull flipped I figure I should paint it since I need to seal up the patch anyway with something as even for me a 15 inch long by 8 inch wide patch of bare fiberglass is a bit of an eyesore lol. I have no experience with gelcote and from what I hear it would be difficult to brush a coat of gel over the whole hull so I am thinking of just spray bombing it. I found a couple threads on rust oleum appliance epoxy spray paint being ok but nobody seemed to follow up in the long term as to if it holds up for a couple years. Basically I am debating to use either por-15 bedliner or the appliance epoxy but I am open to suggestions. Also which requires less work? I am absolutely tired of working on this ski Ive spent at least 40 hours on this thing to get it to the point it is at now including motor work etc.

Thanks

I would not use anything that is not an activated product. Epoxy over the glass and gel then a 2K urethane top coat over the epoxy.

You can buy the color matched gelcoat and spray it as many others have done here. You just need to make sure you use one of the liquid curing compounds over the gel or it will never cure correctly.

Yes I know the products I want to use are not the most durable and could be problematic. After watching some videos on how to spray gelcoat though it is still quite intimidating having absolutely no experience with this stuff. the cost as well since I would have to buy a specific spray gun for gelcoat, a new compressor (mine is tiny) and all the other accesories as highlighted in some youtube videos. considering the cost to equip myself to do spraying (around $400-450 because I live in Canada) I am looking for a cheaper solution. If the cheap solution fails then for sure I will spray gelcote no doubt.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSPIrow89Bc

Thanks

In that case you have nothing to loose. I would give the epoxy appliance paint a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back