How to repair this hull? Please help!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

itBurns46

Just bought a 2002 GTX. I noticed some wear on the coating of the hull but after further inspection, it’s some pretty serious wear. Looks like it had been beached a ton. (157 hours on it)

Is this something that can be fixed? Is it something I can do, or have to bring it to a specific shop?

you can even see a little bit extra of a gouge in the middle of it.
Any help would be greatly appreciated! It’s been 15 years since I’ve owned a SeaDoo, looking forward to getting back on the water, but since I’ll be docking it at my local lake, I just rather be proactkve

Attachments

• 9C02E9A7-38C6-4464-B70D-12043365F72A.jpeg
    9C02E9A7-38C6-4464-B70D-12043365F72A.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 50
  • AB3BA8A8-C615-4BEF-A055-086DC7079A5D.jpeg
    AB3BA8A8-C615-4BEF-A055-086DC7079A5D.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 42
Last edited:
This is the only area that you really need to be concerned about as it looks like they went through almost all the layers of glass.
004C3647-89FE-4A80-80DA-F525967D45E5.jpg

The best repair would be fiberglass cloth and resin but Marine-Tex and even the Bondoglass will be better than leaving it.

The exposed glass on the rest of it is really just cosmetic and won't hurt anything unless you are going to leave it sitting in the water for weeks or months at a time. If it was in water all the time you could have issues with the glass not being protected with gelcoat.

This is the only area that you really need to be concerned about as it looks like they went through almost all the layers of glass.

The best repair would be fiberglass cloth and resin but Marine-Tex and even the Bondoglass will be better than leaving it.

The exposed glass on the rest of it is really just cosmetic and won't hurt anything unless you are going to leave it sitting in the water for weeks or months at a time. If it was in water all the time you could have issues with the glass not being protected with gelcoat.

I was thinking of looking into Marine Tex. I have no experience with fiberglass, is it pretty straight forward?

I am getting a dock and leaving the ski in the water all season (June-September). What would sitting in water do to the exposed glass?

I’ve been reading about a lot of mixing and curing for Gelcoat and quite honestly feel Id probably fail if I attempted it. Ski being 18 years old though, don’t really want to pay a professional shop to repair the Gelcoat. Is there maybe like a marine grade paint and clear that people use to do the job? If I could get 2 solid seasons out of it, I’d be happy.

I would use the marinetex ust on that one spot as it is just a 2 part epoxy specifically for this repair and leave the rest as is.

The correct way would be to re-gelcoat the entire hull but on this old of a ski and lack of ability it isn't worth it.

In theory the exposed fiberglass could soak up some water but in reality there are thousands of skis and boats in the world with exposed fiberglass sitting in water with no issues.

I would use the marinetex ust on that one spot as it is just a 2 part epoxy specifically for this repair and leave the rest as is.

The correct way would be to re-gelcoat the entire hull but on this old of a ski and lack of ability it isn't worth it.

In theory the exposed fiberglass could soak up some water but in reality there are thousands of skis and boats in the world with exposed fiberglass sitting in water with no issues.
Would it be worth painting it? I think I’ve seen some people talk about specific waterproof paint. Even if it lasts just a year, to put something over the fiberglass?

I’ll pick up the MarineTex to repair that one spot once the weather gets nicer.
Weird question - do I need to get it off the trailer or should I be fine repairing it right on the trailer as is?

On the trailer is fine.
You can use boat hull paint but it typically doesn't' look that great. Any other paint will not really hold up that well especially if you beach the ski.

You could try some black appliance epoxy from home depot as some have used that.

I have that very same ski. I used JB weld to be honest. Mixed it up and spread it on. Then let it dry. Next day sanded it smooth to the shape of the hull. Then I took a Black Paint pen from Sharpe. Not the marker, but a paint pin and colored it black. The JB weld was a grayish color. Worked Great for my ski. I had a bunch of gouges and scrapes very similar to yours. Its a 18 year old ski and also you don't see it so I figured why not.

There is a product called Thixo ( just search "Thixo") it comes in a standard caulking tube with a special tip that mixes a 2 part epoxy as you squeeze it out. Made for use below the water line.
They make different consistencies so you want the one that comes out thick and you can fair it out with a putty knife. It won't sag while it cures.
When it is cured (6 hours) you can sand and paint it. It is flexible so it will not crack.
If you plan on leaving it in the water this is what you need.
I have repaired many spots on my 45' Chris Craft bottom 2 years ago and it still is perfect.

Amazon has a top coat gel coat paint used on my challenger because the previous owner seemed to do similar beaching. I just sanded and painted it on. Seams to be a nice hard seal and finish. Screenshot_20200321-124355_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Attachments

• 20200321_124113.jpg
    20200321_124113.jpg
    637.8 KB · Views: 32
  • 20200321_124131.jpg
    20200321_124131.jpg
    639.5 KB · Views: 30
  • 20200321_124224.jpg
    20200321_124224.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 30
Amazon has a top coat gel coat paint used on my challenger because the previous owner seemed to do similar beaching. I just sanded and painted it on. Seams to be a nice hard seal and finish.

Did you sand down to fiberglass on the rest of it or did you just sand it till it was scuffed, then paint?

Ordered the Thixo, now just gotta figure out what I’m using for paint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back