How to remove fascia safely?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

H€PHÆ$TU$

I've got a better one to replace this on a parts boat right now. (No, I didn't cut that hole, the PO did.) From the looks of the back side they use some sort of plastic rivet with a pressed on washer to fasten? Are there tips or tricks how to remove without destroying? They're pretty fragile when they're this old.

20190818_125643.jpg

I don't think they're rivets. They're hard to see but they appear to be plastic nubs that stick off the back side and go through the hull and then there appears to be some sort of interference-fit washer that is forced on from the back side to keep them in place. They are not accessible or visible from the front side and I think if I destroy them the fascia will be permanently damaged / not useable.

I've looked in the parts manual and it doesn't show any fasteners for it at all.

Just looked at my Challenger 1800, so may be a bit different from yours. Looks like the gauges secure the majority of the bezel, and has plastic "darts" that hold the outside edges. Half the dart pushes into the bezel and the other half goes through the fiberglass and has a washer pushed on. Something similar to the picture. If you can get the washer off without ruining the dart (not likely) the bezel should pop off. I would probably just cut the end with the washer off, and replace the darts. Closest replacement to SeaDoos darts that I have found are GM radiator grill retainersIMG_20191018_140113093.jpgIMG_20191018_140144451.jpg

I'm glad you asked because taking the pic helped me understand better.

I think they are rivets, just corroded and looked like plastic from afar. But I don't think they are holding the fascia on. I think they only hold the metal bracket on that the choke cables attach to. I took one of the gauges out and that part of the fascia was able to be flexed up and out. I think the only thing holding the fascia on may actually be the gauges and all I have to do is remove all of them.

I'm waiting to see what this storm does tomorrow. I'd like to take it out for a run. But if it looks like weather isn't going to permit I might try the swap instead.

Attachments

• 20191018_140123.jpg
    20191018_140123.jpg
    496.9 KB · Views: 13
Just looked at my Challenger 1800, so may be a bit different from yours. Looks like the gauges secure the majority of the bezel, and has plastic "darts" that hold the outside edges. Half the dart pushes into the bezel and the other half goes through the fiberglass and has a washer pushed on. Something similar to the picture. If you can get the washer off without ruining the dart (not likely) the bezel should pop off. I would probably just cut the end with the washer off, and replace the darts. Closest replacement to SeaDoos darts that I have found are GM radiator grill retainersView attachment 45050View attachment 45051

Ha, I think we both came to close to the same conclusion and posted at the same time. Thanks. I'll report back once I do it.

I believe you will also need to remove the choke cables from the carbs and pull them through the helm. Don't think they will fit through the bezel

I believe you will also need to remove the choke cables from the carbs and pull them through the helm. Don't think they will fit through the bezel

Dang, seems like that could have been designed better, but it is what it is. Thanks.

Turns out you don't. You just unscrew the retaining nut from the back and everything fits through if you turn it the right way.

I took the opportunity to re wrap the new one to match the upholstery I plan to do this winter.

Attachments

• 20191019_184940.jpg
    20191019_184940.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 13
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back