How long is it ok to run wide open???

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bma1977

I just bought a 2010 gti 155 4 stroke... and I cant help but wonder how the engine is designed to run at a high rpm for so long? How long is it ok to run wide open, how does the motor stay together? I've heard people say they have run wide open for most of the day off and on, is this ok? I've rebuit car motors before and there is a lot of moving parts to be going that fast for that long

Any Insight would be appreciated

1. It's designed for sustained high RPMs - that's how they design it. There's probably thousands of factors and things they do differently.
2. There is no way this could be answered. I imagine this would vary engine to engine among other factors.
3. Yeah, its probably okay, as long as the SKI didn't blow up.

Nothing lasts forever, especially a mechanical device.

Austrian engineering. They have much better schools.

Book says you can run full throttle for about 50 minutes or so; then you run out of gas.

The motor is held together with very high priced bolts that are torqued to specification to hold the various parts together under tension. Sea-Doo also likes to use Loctite to keep the aforementioned bolts from loosening.

Perform the recommended maintenance, and run it! Sure failures happen, but catastrophic failures are rare.

Last edited:
Car engines typically don't have enough cooling capacity to sustain running at WOT for extended periods of time. They are limited by the size of the radiator and how much air can go through it. That is why vehicles overheat towing trailers up the mountains. Overheating will definitely take life off of an engine.

On Boats and PWCs it is easy to design-in more cooling capacity since you have access to an essentially unlimited supply of cooling water. Because boats ARE run at higher output on a sustained basis, they ARE typically designed with higher capacity cooling systems.

Still, they have limits - the water pump can only pump so much coolant. In closed loop systems, there is also a limit inherent in the cooling plate size. Also cooling systems can get clogged or degrade (damned zebra mussels), so watch the temp gauge.

A simple approximation to keep in mind for internal combustion engines is that of the total energy released from burning the fuel, only 1/3 comes out the driveshaft as net power. Another 1/3 comes out the exhaust as heated & pressurized exhaust flow (and sound). The final 1/3 comes out the cooling system. So if you want to sustain 300 HP at the driveshaft for extended period of time, you need to continuously dump 300 HP (224 kilowatts) of heat out the cooling system.

Last edited:
Oh, and regarding the comment about running out of fuel: When Visa says you can't afford any more gas, then you are definitely done.

1552747512358.png

Last edited:
I got really tired of carrying the gas down and pouring it in by hand. Each SeaDoo takes 15 gallons to fill. The runabout the kids use for wakeboarding holds another 35. The wife's pontoon takes another 12. The 55 gallons that my fuel wagon carries is not nearly enough to fill all the boats. It literally does sometimes take two trips to the gas station!

Gee! You’re a good gasoline client!!!

sadly marinas charge close to 5 bucks a gallon for the non ethanol crap, only gas station I know of that sells actual gasoline is about 20 miles from the ramp. We use our pontoon a lot to say the least. Not to sure but last season we put close to 100 hours on it. Every weekend both days, sunrise to sundown.

I understand. Here our marina charges 2$ CAD more per US gallon. That sums up to about the same price as yours in US dollars. I carry my cans on my ATV, like 5 US gallons per cans. I have this big meshed rack on my ATV that I bought online from a small company in Colorado. I rarely use the marina too unless when I get tired of going to town to get gasoline, haul it, etc. And Sea-Doo s seem to suck up gas faster than I can drink one beer!

I understand. Here our marina charges 2$ CAD more per US gallon. That sums up to about the same price as yours in US dollars. I carry my cans on my ATV, like 5 US gallons per cans. I have this big meshed rack on my ATV that I bought online from a small company in Colorado. I rarely use the marina too unless when I get tired of going to town to get gasoline, haul it, etc. And Sea-Doo s seem to suck up gas faster than I can drink one beer!

ATV is a good idea, maybe during my welding class I can bring in my double trailer and weld in a box and gas can rack. The previous owner installed a hmf pipe on it and it being a little racer, lack of hitch is a bummer lol. Very loud, but having the helmet on muffles it for me! :crazy:

How is Canada? At first I thought it was just cold all year round until I found out it actually can get pretty toasty up there! I wish I had my seasons back I don't know who broke Tennessee but it seems to be stuck in the rain setting.

Our climate is definitely changing. We now have deep cold winters with warmer spikes and our summers are now steamy. More extremes for the past 5 years.

In eastern Canada we seem to be getting more extremes while everyone else has more heat but a unusual climate also.

This picture will give you a good idea of how we’re stuck in winter while half of the snow should have melted already. We still have three feet of snow on the ground and a good 2-3 feet of ice on the lake. I doubt I will be riding my doo before mid-May.

IMG_1701.JPG

This is my atv rack with a tailgate:

IMG_1469.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back