How important is breakin inspection (10hrs)?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

crazy4h2o

I got a 2011 Speedster 150 recently which only had 2hrs on it from the previous owner (they used it last season). I am now at 12 hrs. I have followed the guidelines listed in the manual for proper break in until 10hrs (do not advance throttle past 3/4, constant speed variations, no cruising, etc). Everything seems to be all right with the boat? Do I still need to take it to the dealer for the inspection? I understand its just inspection, nothing needs to be done until 100hrs or until end of season.

Sent from my BlackBerry PlayBook using Tapatalk

If you want to keep your warranty valid, then yes you need to take it in.

I agree, I just bought the boat with 18 hours and he was about to take his boat for break-in service but he sold me. So I just dropped the Boat and came home...

Dealer told me it's good to have it done now since I'm still under warranty and I can decide if I want to go with Extended or not.

You can do it yourself and keep your warranty intact. Just make sure you document everything. You are covered under the magnuson-moss warranty act. Don't let the dealers use their scare tactic.

So I called around and here's what I found out.

BRP corporate customer service rep told me break-in inspection is mandatory to keep the warranty valid, however it does not need to need to be done by a dealer (although they highly recommend it). He said if one is knowledgeable enough (know what to look for and do an oil change) and document it that should be fine for warranty. He also told me on newer models (2011 onwards) its recommended to be done closer to 25hrs rather than 10 hrs for older models.

I called the dealer and they were more down to earth, simply told me assuming the boat was in for the end of last season winterizing and had an oil change done, which is the case, no need to bring it in until end of this season regardless of the hours I put in. I should just keep an eye on the oil, ensure its not low and not to dirty and they will do the rest when they winterize it.

So I called around and here's what I found out.

BRP corporate customer service rep told me break-in inspection is mandatory to keep the warranty valid, however it does not need to need to be done by a dealer (although they highly recommend it). He said if one is knowledgeable enough (know what to look for and do an oil change) and document it that should be fine for warranty. He also told me on newer models (2011 onwards) its recommended to be done closer to 25hrs rather than 10 hrs for older models.

I called the dealer and they were more down to earth, simply told me assuming the boat was in for the end of last season winterizing and had an oil change done, which is the case, no need to bring it in until end of this season regardless of the hours I put in. I should just keep an eye on the oil, ensure its not low and not to dirty and they will do the rest when they winterize it.

That's what I was told by my dealer... No need to get it done by 10 hours anymore.. It can be done between 20-30 hours...

The only reason, I took for 10 hrs break-in service in the middle of season since I bought the 2011 C180 SE from the private party and still has 2 more weeks of warranty left. So I wanted to be sure that there's nothing I should be worry about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back