how do i test a water regulator valve

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

hrspwr

Hey guys

I am wondering how to test if the valve is closing when under full throttle. I removed it, and cleaned it but I am wondering if I can test it. I've tried blowing air but can't get it to close. Is it bad or bad test?

Take the cover off. If it's moving by hand... it's probably OK. THEN... unthread the valve from the water box. If it's not rotten inside... it's fine.

You can take it completely apart, and check all the internals if you want. When you put it back together... turn the red knob in, until it stops... then turn it out 3 full revolutions.

i had this same question,i took mine off aswell and took the cap off and all the insides just slid out real easy.on my other ski the metal washer at the bottom is snugged in there tight and i have to push it out from the bottom in order to get it out,which is the correct way for it to be in there?

I get that's it's suppose to move up and down in order to open and close but my question is more towards when u pull on the black part that bellow is on should it stay seated inside the lower housing because mine slides out with very little effort. On my other ski it doesn't do that the bellow stays in the housing and the only way to remove it is to take the valve off the waterbox and push it out from the needle valve opening. I'll post a video when I get home so u can see what I mean

creynoldsmiz, thanks for the link, i read through the whole thread, what made you want to look at the regulator rave valve?

mine isn't like that at all, it's pretty tight in there, it will move up and down when i pull it, but it will spring back down, i didn't use a lot of force to try to pull it off, the other two rave valves will actually stay in place when i move it up and down, are they supposed to be different?

got a couple q's though,

1. is the washer necessary, one of my skis has it, and one of mine doesn't
2. is it ok if there is a little rust in there? and really dry?
3. this is the reason why i want to test the water regulator because my rpm

http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=318113

and i just wanted to make sure the headpipe is the big purple one right? not the one that gets split to the top end of the engine and to the back of the ski

Attachments

• CIMG7226.JPG
    CIMG7226.JPG
    974.2 KB · Views: 205
  • CIMG7227.jpg
    CIMG7227.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 183
  • CIMG7228.jpg
    CIMG7228.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 182
  • CIMG7229.JPG
    CIMG7229.JPG
    891.4 KB · Views: 200
Well, I looked at it because I just always inspect it once a year, and it was this winter and I was bored. It is just a good routine to check it when you check the rave valves, to make sure there are no obstructions. One time I found a small twig in the plastic T where the waterline comes off of the jet pump line, needless to say my exhaust ran screaming hot and burned a coupler. It really is super easy to take on and off, only a minute max to get it all broke down....That being said, I saw Bill O' talking about them being bad on that PWC thread, im not sure really how they go bad.

And YES. The stainless washer is necessary, Im sure your probably missing the bolt as well? The washer and bolt keep the whole assembly together and make the water flow right...

Have you taken the Water Rave off of your ski before? Do it, it is real easy. First, pull the two lines off, note the orientation. The bottom one goes to the water inlet (the small line coming off the cooling line which goes to the head), and the long one goes to the exhaust. Then all you have to do is unscrew the whole assembly from the waterbox, it is just threaded on there. Then take it apart, you may have a rusted clamp if you have never taken it apart before...

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess It would be part 18. Yeah, definitely take it off, you may be suprised when you see how dirty it is. It is a good time to check the bellows for leaks as well! It is real easy, dont worry.

No, I doubt you can buy any washer, but im sure Tonka can hook you up cheap. It is the part right above part 18(the bolt), on the fiche...

Unless these things are not maintained or someone has changed out fittings they should be fine.

Check your bellow to make sure it is sealed both on top and bottom and there are no leaks or cracks in the rubber.

The brass fitting on the muffler that the reg screws onto is a calibrated fitting, it should be 3mm ID.If someone changed it to a bigger one that would flood your muffler.

If the spring is the wrong one that will also affect the water flow, I have bought a ski that someone put a rave spring in and that is to weak for the reg valve.

How it works;
At idle or low rpm's there is not enough water pressure to compress the spring and most of the water will go out the top hole of the reg to the tuned pipe. As rpm's go up and water pressure builds it will compress the spring and the bolt on the bottom starts to slide up closing against the stainless washer and diverting more water to the muffler and less to the tuned pipe.

At WOT the reg valve will let out .4 gallons per minute, (I am assuming it is a U.S. gallon)

170.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless these things are not maintained or someone has changed out fittings they should be fine.

Check your bellow to make sure it is sealed both on top and bottom and there are no leaks or cracks in the rubber.

The brass fitting on the muffler that the reg screws onto is a calibrated fitting, it should be 3mm ID.If someone changed it to a bigger one that would flood your muffler.

If the spring is the wrong one that will also affect the water flow, I have bought a ski that someone put a rave spring in and that is to weak for the reg valve.

How it works;
At idle or low rpm's there is not enough water pressure to compress the spring and most of the water will go out the top hole of the reg to the tuned pipe. As rpm's go up and water pressure builds it will compress the spring and the bolt on the bottom starts to slide up closing against the stainless washer and diverting more water to the muffler and less to the tuned pipe.

At WOT the reg valve will let out .4 gallons per minute, (I am assuming it is a U.S. gallon)

170.jpg

Good info kicker...wasnt really sure how it worked. That clears some up, although it is still a weird device lol

Sorry for not replying sooner. To be honest i dont even remember anymore skis have been sitting for almost 2 years now i was overseas and have not messed with them since i last winterized them. When i got back it was too cold to even bother with them.at this point i may end up getting rid of them i havent made up my mind yet well see once it starts to warm up.

thanks guys, ill look at that valve, it does feel as if my spring isn't as strong as the valve on my other running ski, and the spring kinds feels the same as the other rave valves, if anything, i might swap the whole unit and see, and that will help with the missing washer too

thanks for the info kicker, that was really helpful

nemrod, i pretty much have the same skis as you, with the exception of the xp, i'm hoping someday soon my trailer will look like urs :)

Yup, nammer you were probably using the wrong spring. If you use the rave spring, you wont get near the rpms your supposed to. The Waterbox rave spring is longer and way stiffer than the rave one

If this is bad can it cause to overheat the exahust cuz my bleeding hose is melting can't find the cause

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

If this is bad can it cause to overheat the exahust cuz my bleeding hose is melting can't find the cause

disasemble your water regulator valve and make sure it is not plugged with a few grains of sand.

I did but it looks like the rubber stays retracted like if doesn't have the bounce but that's about it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back