How difficult wear ring replacement for a novice?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

lknlover

Hi I have a GTX that I am pretty sure needs a new wear ring. We've always had a shop work on it but when I say it's the wear ring I always leave with a $500 bill and a new wear ring - new impeller and housing. I basically feel like I have been ripped off X2 because it has happened twice.

How hard is a job like this for a novice?

The only symptom is what we feel is a slight loss if "out of hole power" and almost a airy type cavitation.

Speed loss is slight - no vibration.

On average how long should a wear ring last?

Thanks! :)

What kind of mechanical skills and tools do you have?

It isn't really difficult, but if you have poor mechanical skills, it can be tricky.

I'm a stay at home mom that "does it all". I am the bobvila of home improvement - from tile to crown mould to landscape and irrigation system repair- landscapeing - painting.

I have a 16 year old that can take his entire dirtbike apart and put it back together so maybe he could be my co-pilot.

Thoughts? In other words - do I need a professional?

Nope it's easy, getting the pump off is just a matter of undoing some bolts.
once its off put it in the freezer. The wear ring will shrink from the cold an should slid right out with minimal effort. leave it in for 45-60min then grap the ring with channel lock and work the ring out. Key is not to leave it in to long. leave it in long enough that the ring will shink and slid out, leav it in to long and the pump will catch up and it wont slid out. Also be sure to remove the screws that hold the ring in. If youget the freezer trick right you dont need to remove the impeller. good luck. I you have any trouble let use know :cheers:

Not a big deal. You will do fine. Do not buy a new one until you see the old one, make sure it needs replaced.

Wish I had tried the freezer trick. I ended up cutting mine out both times.

If your kid takes stuff apart, he is just the guy to help you. That is pretty much all this job is, take it apart, put it back toghether.

I am sure you guys can do it.

I want to confirm - We definitely need an "impeller tool"?

As far as the wear ring - where is the best place to get one?

"parts" tab at top right, or parkeryamaha.com. You can use the driveshaft, if you got a bench vise, but take a chance at putting a "kick" init.

I didn't use an impeller tool the first time. I heated up the impeller with a propane torch, and when the locktite burned and freed it up, I put vice grips on my shaft and just used it as "an impeller tool". I don't recommend this, though, but it works in a pinch if you re careful not to mess up the shaft with the vice grips.

Impeller tools are cheap on ebay. $15 or so.

After I got the boat, I figured if I have two seadoos, I may as well get that tool and do it right.

OK- I took everything apart except for taking off the prop.

Everything looks fine - nothing stands out. There were a few small shell parts on the edge of the first black seal on the pump but that's about it. We have a resident muskrat who opens shells on our Sea Doo lift and we have to keep an eye out so we don't suck them up.

I took off the first black rubber seal - now there is another one that doesn't come out as easy - is that the wear ring?

Help!:stupid:

The wear ring is about 5" deep and is immediately around the impeller. All areas of the impeller blade ride just inside the ring. Before you take it off, measure how much space is between the impeller blade and wear ring. If it is .040" or less. Heck, if it is .060 or less, I wouldn't mess with swapping it yet.

Except you DO already have it apart...

My confusion as to what the wear ring is was because the majority of mine is gone - literally. I only have about 1" of wear ring then where the impeller is it's all white - I thought at first the white was part of the housing.

Never having seen a wear ring before is what confused me.

For some reason the freezer trick is not working for me.

Attachments

• wear ring.JPG
    wear ring.JPG
    14.7 KB · Views: 119
Last edited by a moderator:
The final chapter

It's all done! :cheers:

I decided to get my parts form the local dealer and I asked if they could swap the wear ring out - they did it for $41 or 1/2 hour and I would say from the time I handed it off till he came out it was 37 minutes - money well spent I'd say.

Next time when I have more time I will use the tool.

Everything went back together with ease.

One thing I'd like to let everyone know is the mechanic told me to torque the bolts on the pump to 18lbs - on the instructions that wasn't mentioned.

This really was a piece of cake except for getting the wear ring out but then my impeller was in between what was left of my wear ring and preventing it from slipping out.

Well, you really cannot complain if you only needed $45 worth of help.

That is why I have always cut my wear ring out. I have never had one just pop out like some of these other guys. I have had to cut 2 grooves all the way through in 2 places to release the pressure of the ring in the housing, before it would pop out. At least a half hour of cutting both times.

lknlover, what are your riding habits? Two wear rings with the second one partly missing on a 2003 model sounds unusual to me. But then again, it could depend on riding habits and storage habits. Keep that thing in at least 3 feet of water when running and keep the grate clear of debris. My doo still has the original wear ring on it and it is 12 years old. Probably close to 1000 hours.

I have kids - need I say more? :ack:

We also have a resident muskrat who I think IS the real issue. He leaves shells on our lift and as much as I "remind" everyone to check for shells I think they get sucked up here and there when we pull the ski onto the lift. There has also been alot of rain - thus crap floating in the lake so something could have been picked up there as well. This is the 3rd "issue" we've had with either a wear ring (2x) or impeller (1x) or a housing (1x) wit our GTX 4 tec.

On a more positive note we made it 2 seasons this time before we needed a repair which ultimately I did almost by myself at a huge cost savings :hurray:

I hear and appreciate your challenges. :) Good that you were able to save the money by doing it yourself. I am all for that myself. I wish you long wear on this go around..:cheers:

I have a 2007 sea doo gtx 5 etc it seems to me this is a odd year when I look up certain things there is very little that comes up does anyone have any feed back on this. Thank you

I have a 2007 sea doo gtx 5 etc it seems to me this is a odd year when I look up certain things there is very little that comes up does anyone have any feed back on this. Thank you
What are you looking for?

Why would you dig up a 9 year old thread, and post something that has NOTHIGN to do with the topic? Please start your own thread if you have a question.

Why would you dig up a 9 year old thread, and post something that has NOTHIGN to do with the topic? Please start your own thread if you have a question.
Because it was in the Google search. :rolleyes: LOL.

The better question is why was this in the "Non Seadoo Talk" section in the first place?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back