Hot start problem gti rfi and looking for programming resource

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaDoomed

I have 2) 05 gti rfi le skis. Fresh rebuild on engines by experienced shop(not me), will not start when hot. Both of them. Only while in water. Both start hot when pulled out on trailer no prob. Will run all day the first time you start them. Long story short i swapped everything electrical and have come down to replacing TPS but I need new ones zeroed out and calibrated. Does anyone know the best local programming place in Akron area? Next try if TPS doesnt work is new starter and then new battery with 500cca. After that I give up and we just have to wait 30min every time we turn them off to ride again. Any help is appreciated. Also if anyone has had this same issue on an rfi ski and fixed it please help.

It's not gonna be the TPS. Common cause for what you are experiencing is low compression. I'd verify that first thing with a good gauge. You may also have low fuel pressure, or plugged fuel vents. Loosen the fuel cap and see if that helps.

This is gonna sound redundant but..... How is your Spark? Did you replace your spark plugs? What is the battery voltage? Did you check the rectifier?
Are you giving the ski fuel to start? Some are idled very low and are pretty limp when starting.

I have a parts pile and seldom does replacing parts solve issues. LOL Good Luck !!

Thanks for the input and yes new plugs etc etc etc tried everything you mentioned. Lurked on forums for a year trying everything Seems a little like a fuel vapor lock type issue but how would that go away out of water? Compression is 150psi on fresh rebuilt engines. Ill do checks again. I did find a thread where a guy had this issueand got his Throttle body cleaned which fixed it. Makes me wonder if they zerod out the TPS after cleaning and that was the real fix.

Well.... you might solve the problem by sending the fuel injectors out for cleaning. If they are not spraying properly that could give you a hard start condition. Check your fuel pressure too. How old is the fuel in there??

We put new injectors in one and it still does the exact same thing. Both have new fuel pumps and i made a test pressure gauge with a spare fuel hose which showed pressure is good. After starter, tps, and battery are replaced I have rebuilt or replaced just about everything! We were ok replacing most everything since once we get them running right theyll last longer anyway. Just expected this issue to be fixed by one of the new parts by now. Im guessing it is not as much of a gremlin since both are doing it. It should end up being somewhat simple. I think one thing I have left to do is check compression while they are hot. Maybe it drops when hot but Ive never seen perfect when cold and bad when hot before.

When they do try to start hot they fire after clearing the fuel out (full throttle crank for 3 sec) so that made me think maybe tps is off and ecu is throwing too much fuel in the cyl.

Does full throttle while cranking cause the MPEM to shut down fuel flow? The Newer cars and trucks call that the "flooded engine mode" and it shuts down fuel flow to the injectors. I gotta suspect your fuel since you are having that issue. When you fill up put the expensive stuff in there.

Did you check your fuel tank vents??
Outside chance perhaps a CanDoo test on the system might help.

Supposedly when you turn it over while holding full throttle it does npt pulse the injectors and allows you to clear cylinders of excessive fuel/water/oil. I think it is recommended after a rollover for water removal. I think with your helpful suggestions my next things to try are 1) compression while hot and 2) fuel vent check and crack gas cap while trying to start hot. That will eliminate those.

I do want to get my new TPS zeroed in so Im also looking for a good local resource that can do that. Not certain I want to take the plunge for a candoo just to reset TPS and then never use again. One of them has a new tps I never zeroed and it still idles cold, runs fine..... I kkow the fuel maps must be off some though without calibrating the tps

Thank you again for the troubleshooting I need all the help I can get!

Its also possible that the rotary valve clearance is too excessive, happened to me on a 580, The cold start clearance is tight, then expands when hot, preventing the primary source of compression.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back