Home made flywheel puller? Why?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rdessewffy

I just bought a clean title 97 xp for $150 ( I'm stoked) because I needed the seat and a couple other things. In the box with the engine and all the parts was this homemade puller looking tool on the right. The puller I had on left cost me $30. My question is why would someone take the time and energy to make this inefficient tool as opposed to the $30 option? Is the tool they made good for something else? Can I modify it to make some other tool that will help me work on these machines. I'm addicted to these things lolol....

Attachments

• 20200223_124811.jpg
    20200223_124811.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 33
That’s a horrible tool and really bad for the crank bearings. You would never want to use a slide hammer to remove a flywheel.

The only thing I use a slide hammer for is removing the rotary valve gear to rebuild it.

Side impact on bearings are no good. Use the proper puller.

The only time I hit on the end of a crank shaft is pulling clutches off of sleds and even then it's only a mild strike on the tightened clutch puller to pop the tension loose. The same technique to pop the mag flywheel off once the proper puller is tightened up, one mild sharp hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back