Holder Relay Test

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

CliffG

I have a 1996 Seadoo GSX that was having an intermittent issue with two short beeps and then four beeps when key is connected. I know this can be caused by the Holder Relay. When I get the beeping sequence, the gauges power up and the down after the four beeps. Recently it has become a constant issue.

The question is, is there a way to test the Holder relay? I had someone say to ground the relay and apply power to the red/blue wire and see if it works. As there are two of these red/blue wires, I tried the one that does not connect to the MPEM. I did not get any clicks from the relay. I do not want to blindly try other wires with out guidance.

Can anyone shed some light on a proper way to test this relay to see if it’s any good?

Thank you in advance.

There is a way to test the holder relay in the shop manual. Basically, check the 5A fuse on the relay. Remove the relay and measure that there is continuity between the purple-blue stripe wire and the black wire (this is the coil of the relay). Then measure that there is no continuity (open circuit) between the 2 red wires (the relay contacts). If that checks out then apply 12V to the purple -blue stripe wire and ground the black wire. The relay should click and there should be continuity (short circuit) in between the 2 red wires.

In the shop manual, under DESS in the electrical section it says that the MPEM cannot communicate with the CDI module. There are a few things that could cause that. A bad CDI, the 5A fuse on the holder relay (that powers the CDI) is blown, the holder relay is not supplying voltage to the CDI, the connections inbetween the CDI and MPEM are faulty. Check the fuse, check the wiring, preform the static check on the holder relay per the shop manual. If those check out, see that the holder relay supplies 12V to the CDI when the key is installed for the 30 second timeout where the guages come on. If all of those check out then the CDI might be bad.

There is a way to test the holder relay in the shop manual. Basically, check the 5A fuse on the relay. Remove the relay and measure that there is continuity between the purple-blue stripe wire and the black wire (this is the coil of the relay). Then measure that there is no continuity (open circuit) between the 2 red wires (the relay contacts). If that checks out then apply 12V to the purple -blue stripe wire and ground the black wire. The relay should click and there should be continuity (short circuit) in between the 2 red wires.

In the shop manual, under DESS in the electrical section it says that the MPEM cannot communicate with the CDI module. There are a few things that could cause that. A bad CDI, the 5A fuse on the holder relay (that powers the CDI) is blown, the holder relay is not supplying voltage to the CDI, the connections inbetween the CDI and MPEM are faulty. Check the fuse, check the wiring, preform the static check on the holder relay per the shop manual. If those check out, see that the holder relay supplies 12V to the CDI when the key is installed for the 30 second timeout where the guages come on. If all of those check out then the CDI might be bad.
Thank you very much for the reply. I do see the test in the manual now, I did not see it at first glance. The added guidance is appreciated as well. It looks like the relay is good. As I had the MPEM out for servicing and I have triple checked that I reinstalled correctly, I will check the remaining wiring for any issues. I hope it is not the CDI as the remaining used ones are going for a pretty penny.

Does your ski start and run sometimes? Did you check for spark if it does not start?

Yes, if I can get the ignition to stay powered up, it will start and run.

Right after rebuilding the engine and getting ready for the first run, I had this issue. After leaving it sit overnight, it started with no issues. A few times when connecting the key after a few days of sitting or after disconnecting the battery the issue surfaced. Usually after disconnecting the battery and reconnecting, it would work again. Now, it will not stay powered up at all and the speaker stopped working.

I have confirmed the holder relay is working. I have disconnected and cleaned all the bullet connectors and the ground connectors. I was told the MPEM was good when I had a key made. Fuses are good. I guess my next step is the CDI.

10 mins to write the last post and now it’s working again. What sucks is when to trust it’s fixed and trust it to ride.

I had a problem where sometimes it would not start after sitting a long time. I was convinced it was the CDI and bought 2 units with the same result. One of the new CDIs gave me the 4 beeps which made me suspect the holder relay even though I had run the same tests you did. What I did was attach a voltmeter to the 12V output of the holder relay that feeds the CDI with everything installed in the ski. What I saw was that the 12V came on when the key was installed but when the start button was pressed the 12V dropped. The holder relay was defective and could not supply the voltage to run the CDI. Try that test before you invest in another CDI. When you test the holder relay by itself it is not supplying voltage and current to the CDI. Test it installed and connected to the CDI.

A customer is having problems with the 96XP. As you all well know these problems can be hit or miss as to the root cause. What he found is that he had some build up on the plug going INTO the gray box (that green crap). Hopefully that solves the problem. Once you test the components you have to go to the plugs and individually clean and inspect them. Then you have to test the wires under load. Tricky stuff !!

Back