help with 99 gsxl

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lt1350

hey guys, I just picked up a 99 gsxl in pretty good shape on a trailer for 500 bucks. something is tied up in the motor or pump. ive had a couple 96 xp's and had great luck with them but have always wanted a gsxl.

my question is, where should I start with this project as far as diagnosing the problem? ive heard the cranks are terrible in these 951's and ive also heard the pumps tie up. im not familiar with this 951 platform and just need a little advice to get me started. it has 120 hours on the counter

worst case if the motor is junk, I figured I could just part it out. it has a few aftermarket parts, all the electronics work, and it has a really nice trailer. so it was hard to pass up, although I hope I can get it running.

a quick history of what the guy told me, he said he owned it for 3 years. last year he put a solas prop and tdr water box on it and it ran great. at the end of the year he put some pink anti freeze in it and fogged the cylinders. then he said he went to get it out a few weeks ago and it wouldt crank. he put a new battery and it still wouldn't crank over. he said he didn't want to mess with it and just wanted rid of it. wether that story is true or not I really don't know. but that info is all I have to go off right now.

First step would be to pull the plugs and see if you can turn it over by hand.
If you can't then pull the pump and see if it will turn over.

Let us know how it goes and we will go from there.

I agree with the noid.

pull the plugs, see if pto spins, if no, pull the pump and try again, if no, then you got yourself a project.

It might help to know that these tend to part out well, you will get good value and i've rarely had trouble unloading 951 stuff. Carbs/Cases/Shock/driveline/gauges/MPEM all seem to sell well. If the cases aren't ventilated and the MPEM works you've got $500 right there.

turn motor over by hand, if free, jump solenoid to see if it cranks. report back. if I had to guess I'd say solenoid and that if it ran before storage then it is probably minor issue but at the price I'd rebuild it if it needed it.

well I pulled the plugs and couldnt turn it over. then I pulled the pump and I still cant turn the pto shaft. the pump and prop are in great shape, but the motor appears not to be. I am thinking about pulling the head off next.

There is a small chance that the starter could be stuck but I think you are correct in pulling the head. On the 951 you can't reuse the head gasket so you will be out one of those if everything is ok.
There is not much room in that hull but you could try feeling around the bottom and sides of the lower crankcase. When a 951 is locked up there is a good chance you will have a hole in the cases where either a rod or balancer shaft tried to escape.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back