Help!!! Surging and bogging

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Roofer_tex

Hi there I'm new to this forum and am making my first post because I'm stumped on how to correct this surging problem I'm having. I have a 2001 GTI What happen is it runs great for about 10 mins after a cold start. Then it starts to surge and bogg surge and bog only at 3/4 to full throttle then it drops about 10 mph and won't go past 35 mph ( top speed is around 45 mph)
Then I beach it and if I let it sit longer than 30-45 mins it will not start at all. It will start again after I pull it home to trouble shoot. I have already done the following work. Replaced grey fuel lines had a complete carb rebuild with OEM parts replaced fuel selector valve
Cleaned the fuel release check valve it was a little gummed up checked with multi meter that battery is being charge so I guess that rules out rectifier so what's next? I'm getting so frustrated please help. Thanks in advance

Also forgot to mention the engine compression is about 140 in each cylinder and both spark plugs have also been replaced

Thanks for the quick response yes the battery is fully charged i charged it before last trip out to the water to make sure that wasn't my issue

Have you taken the seat off when running to make sure there are not any exhaust leaks choking the engine out?

No I haven't tried that yet, would the small back seat be suffice or do I need to remove the larger front seat am I actually looking for an exhaust leak or could it be too small to notice and I'm seeing if the ski starts to run better because there is more fresh air in the hull ? Or both

And this only happens during WOT or 3/4 to Wot so would riding my seadoo without a seat be safe at 45mph lol
Thanks

Did you check for crap or too in your tank. I replaced my lines and all to. I ended up with a black rubbery goo that I had in my tank. The filter in the tank was off and the float was bad. I flushed out my tank with a siphon hose to the lower end and a hose with a priming bulb from a fresh gas can washing it toward the siphon hose...did this because I could not take out the tank.

You know that's one thing I haven't looked at yet I figured any junk in the tank would be caught up in the fuel filter but it's worth a look thanks

Update to post I tried everybody suggestions pulled off seat no change with surging completely cleaned gas tank and pickup baffle added fresh gas still bogging down after 15 mins of ridding I also reinspected carb and everything checked out. But while running it on the hose just now I touched the wires coming out of the top of stator and the engine died. Started it back up touched wires again same thing died. Could this be my problem the previous owner did tell me he replaced the stator himself could he have messed something up to cause my problems thanks for ya'lls help

IMG_1500.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you taken the seat off when running to make sure there are not any exhaust leaks choking the engine out?

my 96 gti 717 engine twin carb is not running right its like running lean I guess this because it runs good only when the choke is half close (choke plate has to be blocking the center circle don't know name) I took out all fuel lines and bypass the selector valve straight from tank to carbs and the return blocked of one of the supplys and the vent are as is . rebuilt carbs with after market. the exhaust is leaking between the purple pipe and the white manifold and I believe the last guy tried to fix the leak. could the pipe be bad? I added this here because I have the same issue . I ran it yesterday for first time .

I don't believe that just because the rectifier is charging the battery that it is necessarily good. The rectifier rectifies the current as well as charge the battery. If the rectifier is defective it spikes and confuses the computer causing the surging and bogging.

I don't believe that just because the rectifier is charging the battery that it is necessarily good. The rectifier rectifies the current as well as charge the battery. If the rectifier is defective it spikes and confuses the computer causing the surging and bogging.

Just unplug the red wire and you will have your answer if it is bad or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back