Help Please

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
I doubt this is the right forum but here goes,
Problem started when the engine caught fire and burned off an oil line that I didnt see because it was under the motor.. That destroyed the piston on the pto side. It's the only line that melted. Rebuilt that, all new oil lines, everything oiling right, boom, same thing, piston on the pto side. The plugs are suppose to show cardboard brown but cant get them off of grey. The other motor is good, no problems.. The mag spark plug is okay, no issues.. just the pto side.
I am beside myself... any ideas?

'98 Sea Doo Challenger 1800
Twin Rotax

if your plug is grey and it is getting oil like you say then you have a fuel problem in the form of a fuel restriction or calibration issue or an air leak in the engine or intake between the engine and carb, your post is pretty vague and that may be why your not getting any responses.

if your plug is grey and it is getting oil like you say then you have a fuel problem in the form of a fuel restriction or calibration issue or an air leak in the engine or intake between the engine and carb, your post is pretty vague and that may be why your not getting any responses.

I agree with this. It would be wise to do a leak down test on the engine. It could be a crank seal or a number of other things. I'd also clean/rebuild the carbs and make sure everything is calibrated properly.

I have a question for you @wrench2ride . I understand he has a 1998 Challenger 1800, but can something similar like this occur with our engines still? I ask because I've had quite a lengthy repair done on my boat and after finally getting it back, I had something similar to him, expect my Electric Throttle Actuator melted, with all the plugs around it, and the bracket holding my ECM melted a hole through my air intake manifold/intercooler. I had some ECM issues, but mainly one/both not powering down, even with the key out.

I have a question for you @wrench2ride . I understand he has a 1998 Challenger 1800, but can something similar like this occur with our engines still? I ask because I've had quite a lengthy repair done on my boat and after finally getting it back, I had something similar to him, expect my Electric Throttle Actuator melted, with all the plugs around it, and the bracket holding my ECM melted a hole through my air intake manifold/intercooler. I had some ECM issues, but mainly one/both not powering down, even with the key out.

It is not typical to see that kind of problem in a four stroke but it can still happen, if it starts to suck air in between the throttle body and the intake manifold gasket the air/fuel mixture the computer thinks it is getting would be leaned out, that can lead to burnt valves or even cracked pistons and rods because of detonation, the issue can be more common on two strokes because there are more places it can suck in air. Fuel restriction issues are more detrimental to two strokes than four strokes also because a two stroke engine runs a finer line between running efficient and being too lean or too rich, too rich it smokes a lot and fouls spark plugs and has no power, too lean and it will run really good for a short time before it gets too hot and blows up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back