Help. Oil Change has left me puzzled.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

spinneroo

Today, I tried to do an oil change on a mostly even surface. No oil comes out of the oil extractor however, the dipstick indicates there is oil but close to the minimum mark. Just for kicks, I added a quart of oil and tried to extract through the dipstick hole and sure enough I was able to get some oil out. I dropped the front of the boat all the way to the ground and tried to extract more oil from the front of the engine through the engine oil cap. In total I was able to extract only about 1.5 quarts of oil (this includes the quart I poured into it). I tried adding 2 quarts of fresh oil and it overflowed out before settling down. Clearly, the dipstick shows I have excess oil.

What am I missing? I was under the impression, this engine takes 2.7 quarts of oil. I plan to redo the oil change since I cant drive it around with excess oil but I am not sure what different outcome I can expect to see.

Today, I tried to do an oil change on a mostly even surface. No oil comes out of the oil extractor however, the dipstick indicates there is oil but close to the minimum mark. Just for kicks, I added a quart of oil and tried to extract through the dipstick hole and sure enough I was able to get some oil out. I dropped the front of the boat all the way to the ground and tried to extract more oil from the front of the engine through the engine oil cap. In total I was able to extract only about 1.5 quarts of oil (this includes the quart I poured into it). I tried adding 2 quarts of fresh oil and it overflowed out before settling down. Clearly, the dipstick shows I have excess oil.

What am I missing? I was under the impression, this engine takes 2.7 quarts of oil. I plan to redo the oil change since I cant drive it around with excess oil but I am not sure what different outcome I can expect to see.
Are you sticking the extractor hose down the dip stick housing or where you fill the oil? The dip stick is where you should be going with the hose and if it shows oil on dip stick you should be sucking it up. Unless something is wrong with your extractor.

Are you sticking the extractor hose down the dip stick housing or where you fill the oil? The dip stick is where you should be going with the hose and if it shows oil on dip stick you should be sucking it up. Unless something is wrong with your extractor.

I tried running the extractor through both the dipstick housing and then via the oil fill cap since I wasnt getting enough oil out. As for the extractor, its a standard one that I have been using for years on my other cars etc with no issues.

I tried running the extractor through both the dipstick housing and then via the oil fill cap since I wasnt getting enough oil out. As for the extractor, its a standard one that I have been using for years on my other cars etc with no issues.
Gotcha, maybe some of the more experienced Sea Doo'ers will chime in with an explanation. I'm still a rookie myself, but figured if it is showing on the dip stick and your going in the same hole then it should be sucking unless your hose is going down and curling up back out of the oil.

Gotcha, maybe some of the more experienced Sea Doo'ers will chime in with an explanation. I'm still a rookie myself, but figured if it is showing on the dip stick and your going in the same hole then it should be sucking unless your hose is going down and curling up back out of the oil.

Your reasoning makes perfect sense. What baffled me was that the dipstick showed min level for oil and nothing came out of the extractor. the extractor tube is stiff enough to not curl up. This boat is new to me and this is the first oil change I am doing on it as a part of winterization. I was concerned the engine was running on little to no oil which is what prompted me to add a quart to see if I notice a change on the dipstick and I did. It did top out the max line.

All in all, it might have been a half quart low. Perhaps, I need to try another extractor with a narrower tube? Any suggestions on extractor people are using? Thanks.

You don't have the extractor all the way in. There is a spot with a small ledge that you have to push past to get to the bottom. The manual gives you the exact distance it should be inserted.

You don't have the extractor all the way in. There is a spot with a small ledge that you have to push past to get to the bottom. The manual gives you the exact distance it should be inserted.

Thank you for that info. I felt like I had hit the bottom the last I tried. I will try again and see if it will go any further. Any idea what the travel length should be? I dont have a manual.

From the manual.....

Also, are you pumping oil out of the PTO? That could account for some of the missing oil.

oil.jpg

Did u warm up engine , it helps the oil to come out faster, easier because it gets thinner when warmed up . Run engine on hose same as if you flush then do oil change

Push the hose in as far as it will go in the dipstick tube, put a mark on it , pull it out and see if it's going in about 2 inches more than the length of the dipstick by holding the dipstick next to it, if not then rotate the tube a little when you hit an obstacle until it goes all the way to the bottom. Don't forget to do the second procedure for remaining oil removal.

The following instructions are from the Sea Doo shop manual section 04 (4-Tec engine lubricatiion system page 04-07-5.
1. Run engine for 10 seconds @ 4000 rpm and shut it off at this rpm. This will move oil from pto housing to oil tank to allow maximum oil draining.
2. Remove oil filler cap & dipstick
3. Using an oil vac, siphon oil through dipstick hole.
4. Caution: Never crank or start engine when siphon tube is in dipstick hole.
5. So the siphon tube is located at the proper height to remove oil, put electrical tape on siphon tube at 18.7" from it's end. Then insert siphon tube until you reach the tape. Make sure the siphon tube is in all the way into the pan up to the electrical tape.
6. Siphon oil until it stops flowing.
7. Remove siphon tube, crank engine for 10 seconds without starting. Reinsert siphon tube again & siphon oil again. Repeat crank-siphon cycle 2-3 times until no oil is coming out. Remember not to crank engine while siphon tube is in dipstick tube.
8. You should be able to extract 4.8 qts of oil following this procedure.
9. Replace filter after crankcase is emptied.
10. Refill oil with approx 4.8 qts XPS 5W30 4-Tec oil.
11. Check oil level according to manufacturers directions.
12. FYI, you can purchase thru Amazon 1 gallon Sea Doo oil, filter with o rings and 3 NGK spark plugs all for $73.95. Much less than dealer prices.
If you like call me at 716-535-0618 for further instructions if you get stuck.
Good luck,
John Pfennig
2004 Sea Doo Sportster 4-Tec

The following instructions are from the Sea Doo shop manual section 04 (4-Tec engine lubricatiion system page 04-07-5.
1. Run engine for 10 seconds @ 4000 rpm and shut it off at this rpm. This will move oil from pto housing to oil tank to allow maximum oil draining.
2. Remove oil filler cap & dipstick
3. Using an oil vac, siphon oil through dipstick hole.
4. Caution: Never crank or start engine when siphon tube is in dipstick hole.
5. So the siphon tube is located at the proper height to remove oil, put electrical tape on siphon tube at 18.7" from it's end. Then insert siphon tube until you reach the tape. Make sure the siphon tube is in all the way into the pan up to the electrical tape.
6. Siphon oil until it stops flowing.
7. Remove siphon tube, crank engine for 10 seconds without starting. Reinsert siphon tube again & siphon oil again. Repeat crank-siphon cycle 2-3 times until no oil is coming out. Remember not to crank engine while siphon tube is in dipstick tube.
8. You should be able to extract 4.8 qts of oil following this procedure.
9. Replace filter after crankcase is emptied.
10. Refill oil with approx 4.8 qts XPS 5W30 4-Tec oil.
11. Check oil level according to manufacturers directions.
12. FYI, you can purchase thru Amazon 1 gallon Sea Doo oil, filter with o rings and 3 NGK spark plugs all for $73.95. Much less than dealer prices.
If you like call me at 716-535-0618 for further instructions if you get stuck.
Good luck,
John Pfennig
2004 Sea Doo Sportster 4-Tec
Thank you so much for the detailed instructions. All I need now is a weekend without rains :)

If you need to run the engine on land make sure you hookup a hose to the inlet at the left side of the jetpump. It looks like a quick coupler. Ski Doo makes a fitting that connects to a garden hose. First start the engine, then turn on the water, do not run more than 5 minutes with the water on. Turn off water then stop engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back