Help Newbie here 97 GTI 717

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Guess i should say hello to all im new here.

I bought 2 used jet ski's a 95 GTX 657X and a 97 GTI 717. We are avid Boaters and outdoor people ( my wife and myself ) and i bought these at my wifes Request. She rode one Years ago and loved it. Now for the bad news lol. I got these very cheap and im afraid i might have gotten taken advantage of. But they are very clean on the exterior and i got a 2 ski trailer all life jackets ( 5 ) 2 ski ropes and new tube ( scorpion fear factor ) ...sigh i guess all useless info to share but i need help with them.

I will explain that when i bought them from the man he told me that the 95 GTX Ran good and had no Issues. And the 97 GTI that the last trip they made to lake his in law was on the ski it cranked fine and he gfot about 100 yards from the launch and it died like the kill switch had been hit and there was no lights or anything.. no power to switch or anywhere. he said he could not afford to have it repaired ( he was afraid to take it in to dealership because it cost him 500 dollars every time he went there ) . so they sat in his shop for 2 years.

The issues im having is we got the 95 GTX cranked . it would not crank until i poured some gas into carbs then it cranked on 1st turn from there on anytime i wanted to crank it. I ran it about 5 minutes with water hose on it. It smoked really heavy the entire time it ran. It got less as it ran but i was afraid to run it with hose for more then 5 minutes. i cranked it several times in a 1 hour period and it cranked everytime on 1st turn but smoked heavy. I went back out 3 hours later tried to start it and it started very fast then ran 3 seconds and died ( still smoking heavy ) then it would not crank again. I poured gas into carbs again and it fired right up but died when that fuel ran out. so it sounds like a fuel issue for sure. My concern on that one is the heavy smoking...any advice would be Greatly appreciated...sorry this is so long but wanted to be sure i explain exactly what i have done.

Now on the 97 GTI. this is the one that died on him and he SAID that when it did he just parked it and never did anything to it at all.... i kind of figure this is a lie and i will explain why. when we got seat off we put new battery on it ( new battery and plugs on both ) i noticed a spare selonoid in box. this got me to looking and i see both pos and neg were off the starter and got to looking and can tell that there has been work done on it ( or someone tried ) i have been reading your forum all day and decided that it would be well worth the yearly cost to join so i did and can see now that it will very easily pay for itself. anyways ( sorry to get off track hehe ) there are 2 studs missing off exaust on left top. a clamp had been loosened and moved off one of the large rubber hoses. but i started to track down why no power and that was when i seen both wires off starter. we hooked those up tried to start it and got noting at all..no panel lights nothing. checked fuse next to battery in the box where power comes out 15 amp fuse was blown. replaced it. when we replaced it the 5 amp in fuse box in front blew. so we started tracing down any shorts. Here is what we have so far

On front of motor ( and i dont know the parts name but will try to describe it best i can. Standing at back of ski looking down into motor compartment on very front of motor there is a set of wires that runs down into what looks like could be where the flywheel is. If we unplug those set of wires the 5 amp fuse in front will not blow. we plug it back up and it blows 5 amp fuse immediatly. so short or whatever bad part in that area is at least part of the problem. can anyone tell me what that is that could be Blowing the 5 amp fuse ( also after new battery in we crossed soloniod and the starter turned but did not engage flywheel so figure starter is bad so gonna have it rebuilt )

One thing i was fairly sure of was we would have to do some TLC on these so getting them repaired is not bothering me at all we look forward to the fun of riding them. I plan on checking compression in the morning so i will post those on here when i get them. and again any help would be Greatly appreciated. they really are very clean on outside inside was another story so some cleanup will be required there. thanks for the help in advance and look forward to getting these Critters running lol...gonna be fun to ride i am sure

here we go...

Hi there and welcome to the seadoo forum. Lets begin with the easy one first.. the GTI. If you do a search in the members list for a guy who calls himself " ALL THINGS CUSTOM " he knows all about the 5 amp fuse problem.
Ok the GTX... check all the fuel lines for a blockage. It's been sitting awhile so they will have gone all hard so i'd be replacing them anyhow. Usually the smoke is cause by bad crank seals letting the oil into the engine.. in your case it could be this or a problem with your oil injection system. Of course the fuel you are using is fresh fuel??? After you get the ski running you will know which oil problem after a decent ride. Let us all know how you went.

Yes i should have mentioned that i did put fresh fuel in the tanks of both. The tanks on both were totally empty it looked like. i also used the oil he had with them which was a seadoo oil that was low ash there was 2 gallons in the box on the trailer. but there was oil in both oil tanks i just topped them off.

could sitting for 2 years with oil in the tanks cause all that smoking in them. just a thought but figured sitting for 2 years they might bleed some oil into the engine over time and was hoping after a good run it would lesson up. he did tell me that it smoked some but he said that was normal. Being new to jetski's im not sure....thanks for the response. i have a roll of 3/8 fuel line and clamps already that i can replace them with and it looks simple to do. and again thanks for the help

Magneto

The two wires are going to your magneto. If the Magneto is bad, your 5 amp fuse will blow. Do you get the two beeps when you place the key on the start post when the fuse has not blown?

ahhhh magneto that would explain a lot then...i get no beeps when key is put on post. One thing he told me was that when it was running and the last time they took it out they got about 100 yards from launch and it died like you had hit the kill switch. he said he had nothing from that point on or that it would not run at least and that they just parked it and it sat for 2 years until i bought it. But i believe he said when it died he had nothing at all no lights on dash no electrical at all....is magneto hard to replace ?..im fairly good at mechanics but never worked on seadoo's before.

I crossed the post on the selonoid and starter turned but did not engage flywheel i assume starter is bad also so i have removed it already and will have it rebuilt ( lot cheaper then buying new hehe ) thank you for that answer about magneto that is a big help.

I went ahead and paid for premium membership here but cannot get to any private areas for manuals i guess they have to approve me ?. i paid thru paypal for a year...seems this site will be very helpful and everyone on it also very helpful. thanks again for the help ill keep posting results as i go

manuals..

If you are still having trouble accessing the manuals contact the forum administrator... i look forward to your progress with these problems .. good luck and feel free to ask any more questions there is usually someone around betwen us all here at the forum who knows what the problem is..:cheers:

Thanks seadoolover i used wrong option on paypal my Mistake lol...instead of credit card i used E-Check which takes 4 to 5 days to clear ...no big deal its just good to know the manuals are there when i get opened up to them hehe...wife wants me to get them going so she can go play on them lol...i actually enjoy working on them and really dont want them in the water until i know they are running as close to perfect as i can get them....love a challange...

and again thanks for the help here this has to be one of the most helpful Groups on any site i have ever seen :hurray:

5 Amp fuse

I recently bought a 97 GTI and I had a problem with the 5 amp fuse blowing. Although my problem was different then yours I learned a little bit about what causes the 5 amp fuse to blow. My problem was that I had a short in the MPEM (Electronic Module) which is were the 5 amp fuse is located. Mike at All things custom helped me trouble shoot the problem and the he repaired my MPEM and had me foing in just a few days.

The other two common problems that cause the fuse to blow are running on a low battery and having a bad magneto. If the magneto has a short it could be sending to much power to the system causing the fuse to blow. Your trouble shooting proved this when you disconnected the wires and the fuse did not blow. If you leave it disconnected I believe you should be able to turn it over with the start switch as long as the battery is fully charged and your key and start post are in working order. The 5 amp fuse has to be in good shape as well. If you search the THREADS for the 5 amp fuse problem, you will find a lot of info that may be helpful.

Let me know if I can help out. Like you, I am new to the Seadoo world and I am learning as I go, so take what I have to say with a grain of salt.

One thing that I can say for sure it that the 97 GTI is very easy to work with.

Keep us posted on how things are going.

Thanks for respone. I taked with dealer here locally to ask about magneto and he said same thing that the Statler ? seems bad ( i asked him he said same as the magneto 250 bucks for part ) he said that is most likely the trouble. Now he did warn me if that did not fix it then i would be most likely looking at a new MPEM geez they are proud of them things lol he said from 750 to a 1000 bucks...figure ill do some checking on internet if thats what i need might be cheaper.

Thanks Charles that helped Greatly

if it is the mpem, and probably is, mike at allthingscustom is the way to go. he fixes the 5-amp fuse blow problem 100 percent of the time. roughly one-tenth of the high figure the dealer quoted. the magneto doesn't die that often, unless the front case filled up with water. it is a big pain to change. possible to do with engine installed, but no fun. then you hafta re-time the engine.

uh oh i just ordered the new magneto today being electrical i had to pay in advance also ...guess ill have it on ebay if i dont need it or hopefully the dealer let me return it ...would the MPEM being bad blow the 5 amp fuses when i plug the magneto in...with it unplugged it does not blow it. I am not Very familar with Jetskis as these are the 1st ones we ever bought..thanks for all the help and advice...im reading every post i find on my year models just so i can learn what to look for just in case i run into these issues with mine in the future...Great group here. my premium still not approved so i cant get manuals yet...im sure it will be any day now hehe

Hey oldmanactingyoung...
I'm too, new here, but have been reading numerous post/threads. hav'n problem w/ my boat, but with your situation, sometimes yah, stator bad, but majority, theres debris from the bendix and flywheel, (metal shaffings) that will ground out the stator, inwhich just clean and WHAM, she works again, also, the rectifier can cause the 5amp to pop, test that, you unplug the red wire coming from it. I did read though, something about the MPEM is grounded through the stator or something of that nature, but battery wont last long w/ stator or rectifier unplugged

Does the 95 Have MPEM ?...and to clean that area i need to remove that front housing cover over the flywheel then ? and them just blow it out with air or what is best way ? Thanks timmy

the mpem won't usually blow the fuse until the mag is plugged in. i would cancel the order before the mag comes. they are cheap all over ebay. a good rule of thumb; if it is cheap on ebay it doesn't usually die. nobody needs it, so nobody bids it up. if it is expensive, it dies alla time and everybody needs it, so price rises. mpems rarely stay under $100. stators rarely go over $50. the stator and magneto are both in the same part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back