Help Needed Please

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

jkpell

I have came to a road block and I need some help. I have been reading and working on the two skis for a few weeks and I "thought" i had the bugs worked out and went to the lake this evening. Well the SPX cranked right up and ran great! The GSX, well that is another story. I started both while on the trailer and when I went to rev up the GSX it bogged and died. My friend ask what he could do and I told him to just ride the SPX so that it could run for a little while. I know that they have not been ran for over a year from the last owner. So while he was riding I kept messing with the ski. It would idle good and then when I would rev, it would die. I would try to restart and sometimes it would start, other time I would be forced to choke it and only get a spit and sputter. I pulled the seat and saw smoke coming from the motor when ever it would kick off. After looking around for the source I saw some black oil coming out of the RAVE valve. I pulled the valve out and cleaned the cover, base, and the gasket. I reinstalled the valve, hit the starter adn it fired right up. I really thought this was it and got excited, only to hit the gas, watch it rev to 3000 rpm and then bog and die. I tried to feather the choke with and gas and got it to rev a little higher but nothing that would give me the impression that I should pull it off the trailer.
I have changed the fuel line, I did not mess with the fuel selector switch and it will not move to any other selection other than on, just thought of that. Cleaned the RAVE valves, checked the carbs and filters, good. I did however hook the water hose to it when we first got it and did not know that you DO NOT turn on the water first! I had two pistons full of water and after we got that out I thought it was all but I did notice when I pulled the carbs off that the pump on the carb was half full of water. I really thought that was the problem with it not reving but nope!
Does anyone have any suggestions? I am thinking that the carbs need to be rebuilt and that the high speed jet may be clogged from sitting for so long but I am just not sure and wanted to get some feedback if possible.

Thanks for looking, I still am not sure about skis but I got a great deal on them and would really like to get them both going. This forum and all the people here are great and the information is overwhelming, thanks! :thumbsup:

With water in the engine, the fuel pump works from the lower case pulse nipple. Thats why you had gas in the fuel pump. remove w air chuk.
I did not read you removed the water.
To do that take the *plugs out, crank in 15 second intervals, one minute apart, so as to not over-heat the starter. Continue until no water pukes out the *plug holes. use a few teaspoons gas in the holes, put plugs in, a few into the carbs flame arrestor and get it started.

Start with a compression check. Then check your fuel selector and carb filters first if the selctor is not letting enough gas threw it will bog out and die. Then go from there.

With water in the engine, the fuel pump works from the lower case pulse nipple. Thats why you had gas in the fuel pump. remove w air chuk.
I did not read you removed the water.
To do that take the *plugs out, crank in 15 second intervals, one minute apart, so as to not over-heat the starter. Continue until no water pukes out the *plug holes. use a few teaspoons gas in the holes, put plugs in, a few into the carbs flame arrestor and get it started.

sorry about not being clear, we did just what you said and got the water out! I could not believe that all that water got in there!

Start with a compression check. Then check your fuel selector and carb filters first if the selctor is not letting enough gas threw it will bog out and die. Then go from there.

Does the fuel selector switch come apart and can it be rebuilt? Or is this something that you just replace?

before you replace it i would try to run it on reserve my ski did the exact same thing in the (ON) position but will run fine on reserve so try that and if it works just take out the selector valve and clean it or replace it if you like

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back