HELP ME :)

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

jzardoya1

So a friend of mine just purchase a new boat and had an 2002 x-20 that he had in the drive way. Literally gifted to me as the last time he took it out on the lake it started but would not maintain idle. I brought it home and replaced the fuel filter to connects to the small clicky pump ( Is it supposed to click when i first turn the key) I will be replcing the filter that looks like a car filter. Also replaced the spark plugs. When i go to turn it starts up perfect but within a second or two it just dies. Anyone have issues like this and what did you do to fix. I want to get it on the lake to have fun with friends kids and wife. Thanks for all the help.

So a friend of mine just purchase a new boat and had an 2002 x-20 that he had in the drive way. Literally gifted to me as the last time he took it out on the lake it started but would not maintain idle. I brought it home and replaced the fuel filter to connects to the small clicky pump ( Is it supposed to click when i first turn the key) I will be replcing the filter that looks like a car filter. Also replaced the spark plugs. When i go to turn it starts up perfect but within a second or two it just dies. Anyone have issues like this and what did you do to fix. I want to get it on the lake to have fun with friends kids and wife. Thanks for all the help.
We need details.
What engine do you have?

Merc 240 efi M2 circle top
Again it cranks but wont stay at idle.

Attachments

• 11559.jpg
    11559.jpg
    292.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 11535.jpg
    11535.jpg
    496.9 KB · Views: 10
So i figured it out by going through the manual. Put a new HPFP in the VST and now getting gas. I had to disconnect the oil tank on the engine to make easy access to the pump. Now when i turn the key to on not engine on i have the red oil light with constant beeping. Any ideas? and do i have to air out the oil system if so how. Thanks a ton for any answers.

So i figured it out by going through the manual. Put a new HPFP in the VST and now getting gas. I had to disconnect the oil tank on the engine to make easy access to the pump. Now when i turn the key to on not engine on i have the red oil light with constant beeping. Any ideas? and do i have to air out the oil system if so how. Thanks a ton for any answers.

Follow the wires from the oil cap on top of the oil header tank. One or both may be disconnected. Or the magnetic switch in the cap may have failed.

As the engine runs, it will build pressure in the large oil tank. That pressure moves the oil uphill to the header tank. Any air in the hose is automatically pushed into the header tank. Then the tank is filled as the engine runs. It takes about 4 minutes from almost empty.

What is your fuel pressure from the VST? Should be 36psi. I had a stuck regulator and it was 85psi.

Got all that fixed and thank yall so much. So I took it to the lake this weekend as in the driveway with hose attached it did idle after doing all fuel pumps and filters. Once on the lake it woudl not go above 10 mph or so and then would bog down and die when at idle. What should i be looking into for possible causes. Also would putting new gas help as the gas in the tank was about 90 days or so old. I did put stabilizer but still wondering. Any help would be awsome.

A bogging down then dying... sounds like fuel delivery issue. Spark issues tend to cut-out more suddenly. I have the same engine in my Challenger. What is your fuel pressure when it bogs and dies? Could be the VST high pressure fuel pump, or could be the engine-mounted pulse fuel pump not feeding enough fuel into the VST. Could have an air leak in your fuel lines from tank to pumps... sucking in air. Perhaps a clogged fuel filter (like the smaller one on the clickty-clack primer pump). GL.

I got around 34ish on the fuel pressure. My gauge is old so it may get to 36 but I read 34. Would that cause my issue or should be fine and need to keep looking ?

I got around 34ish on the fuel pressure. My gauge is old so it may get to 36 but I read 34. Would that cause my issue or should be fine and need to keep looking ?
One number is missing in the discussions-
What is your max RPM at your max speed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back