Help! - 96 Seadoo GTS Starter Removal Question

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zdoo

Can anyone tell me what all needs to be removed to take the Starter off? Have a weak starter and won't turn over unless I take the Spark Plugs out.

I need to know what size of Allen wrench is need to get the bolts out also.

Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks!

you got 2-13mm bolts, securing it to the motor, and maybe a 3rd one, securing the ground cable. It aint an easy unit to get to. probably, best way, is to removethe exhaust/pipe assy, but starter under that.

I've got a 97 Gti that I just went through that with. The starter bolts (two) were hard to get to. They were 13mm socket - one at top and one at the bottom. I used a 12" plus 3" extension and removed them from the back without taking the exhaust off. There is also a rear brace that comes off with a 13 mm socket - at least it did on mine. I didn't have to remove the ground or hot wire until I got the starter pulled back where I could get to them easier. The hard part was putting it back on - both bolts are blind going back in. I wrapped the bolt head with duct tape so it would stay in the socket better. The hard part is lining them up - holding the starter up and in position - and then starting the bolt with one hand tied behind your back and a blindfold on ;-)

Good luck.

If its the 787 motor I removed it with everything intact. Its a little tricky getting the bottom bolt out but you can feel your way to it. If you want I am sure carb removal would ease the removal if you wanted to go through that. Mine was a 1996 GSX

Thanks for the help guys! My son was able to get the starter off in about 1/2 an hr. There are actually 2 Allen bolts and one hex bolt on the front of the starter and then 1 Allen bolt at the back bracket. 2 of them were easy but the other 2 were a little harder. We used a swivel 6mm allen 1/4" drive. Worked well but those last 2 bolts were like working blind...LOL!!!

Just waiting for the new starter to arrive. Found one at Discount Starter & Alternator on line for $54.95 and free shipping! Has a 1 year warranty so hope it works well so we can ride the Ski this weekend!

Nope, already tested all that by jumping straight to the starter by passing the solenoid and ground connections. Starter will turn over finr when not under a load, (Spark Plugs In) but won't when it is under a load (Spark Plugs out).

Thanks for your input though!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back