GTX 4-TEC Overheats

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

jimraab

I have a 2005 GTX with the 4-TEC engine. I recently changed the oil, oil filter, and spark plugs. Since doing this the engine will start, but now now indicates it is overheating as soon as the engine starts. It doesn't even have time to get hot. Any idea on what is going on with this?

Ok lets think about this.. How much oil did you put back in?
Did you follow Sea doo's oil change procedures?
Unless you got an air bubble some place thats not allowing oil to circulate , an oil change should not cause overheating that I know.

Check to see if the engine temp sensor and exhaust temp sensor are connected. The engine sensor is at the rt rear of the cylinder head. The exhaust temp sensor is on the left side water box just below where the large rubber hose is attached. Also, make sure you didn't pinch a harness when you tightened down the oil filter cap.

DAWG

Yes I did follow Seadoo's oil change instructions as provided by Seadoo. I will check the sensors when I get home. Hoping it is something very simple.

I went home and connected the hose to the engine as if I was flushing it and ran the engine heating for about 15 minutes with no overheating problem. I always thought that since this engine was a closed cooling system that I could run it for a minute or so with no overheating. Is this correct? If not I may not have a problem at all. Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
Overheating Update

Took my GTX 4-Tec out on Friday. I put it in the water and started it. Overheating came on and then went off. Road all day with no issue. Went out today (Sunday) and started the engine prior to launch and overheating came on within seconds. Took the ski home started in the driveway. Overheat indication came on right away even with the flush hose connected to it. WITH HOSE CONNECTED NO WATER WAS COMING OUT OF THE SKI LIKE IT SHOULD AND OVERHEAT REMAINED. Tried it a minute later and the hose water was coming out of the ski with NO overheating problem. IS IT SAFE TO ASSUME THAT THE WATER PUMP IS BAD?

You know what happens when you ASSUME, and this is definitely the case here.

ok, so it's hard to count how many things you're doing wrong but I'll try...

1. you can't run the 4tecs out of water for more than a few seconds or they will overheat, but I think you found that out. yes, the engine is a closed loop cooling system but the exhaust is not, it needs the lake water for cooling.

2. You can't run it on the hose for more than 3 or 4 minutes. the drive train will overheat, it relies on the lake water for cooling.

3. The only water pump is the pump in the closed loop engine cooling system and they very, very, rarely fail(unless you do something wrong like cook the motor), the water for the exhaust cooling is pumped by force of the jet pump.

4. I'm guessing you turned on the water before you started the engine. a definite no-no, the water will backflow into the motor through the exhaust. start engine, turn on water immediately, run 2 minutes, shut off water, shut off engine immediately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back