GTX 155 sharper steering??

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes riding style does make a difference on the life of the SC. If you're always doing donuts and bouncing it off the limiter you're gonna kill it quicker.

does everyone run the XP-S oil or something different? BRP is notorious for saying there stuff is the best and MUST be used. yada yada,

What do you guys run in the SC skis and in the non SC versions?

Can the average mechanic rebuild the blower in these things or does it require special tools?

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! I envy you KK.... wish I could get more hours in in a summer. But work and weather and the lake I love is big and rough if there's a wind blowing. It limits me. :-(

This 2 year rebuild thing just doesn't quite pass the smell test to me... bearings/bearing cages, they don't spoil like milk. Unless there's water present making it rust, it should be just as good 10 years from now as the day you got it if it hasn't been worn down due to operating hours. You don't really even know how old those "new" bearings really are, they could have spent years just sitting on a shelf in storage before being put in the kit or into a new supercharger... the kit or a new supercharger likewise could have spent a year or two just sitting on a shelf somewhere waiting to be sold.

To my mind, only actual operating time matters until somebody can provide an explanation that makes sense. Change your engine oil and filter every 50 hours (or at least once a year), change your spark plugs annually (ask me how I know this!), rebuild the supercharger every 100 hrs of operation, take your seat(s) off after you're done for the day and let it "air out" inside for a few hours before bedtime, add fuel stabilizer to every gallon of gas you put into your tank, and be sure to take the seats off to let them air a little over the wintertime (humidity builds up inside the hulls otherwise and corrodes stuff)... winterize before the 1st freeze every Fall pumping the cooling system full of anti-freeze (and then de-winterize every spring after the last freeze before 1st use), and all should be well.

And don't forget to put your drain plugs in before launching also! Also don't loan it out to relatives (KK!) or friends. LOL! ;-)

- Michael

does everyone run the XP-S oil or something different? BRP is notorious for saying there stuff is the best and MUST be used. yada yada,

What do you guys run in the SC skis and in the non SC versions?

Can the average mechanic rebuild the blower in these things or does it require special tools?

I run the XP-S oil for 4-TEC engines. The thing is these superchargers have slip washers which require just the right amount of slippery-ness in the oil, oil that's too slippery will cause the washers to slip constantly creating heat and premature failure, and of course oils that aren't spippery enough will blow the supercharger seals out as the washers won't slip when they should (when you suddenly release the throttle after accellerating, as I understand it). BRP has formulated the XP-S oil for 4-TEC engines to provide the right amount of slippery-ness so the supercharger will work right (all other things considered). Use different brands of oil at your own risk. So there is a real reason for using this overpriced oil, IMHO... and it makes some sense when you think about how the supercharger operates.

In a non-supercharged PWC I don't think it's nearly as important to use the right oil.

The average mechanic can rebuild the superchargers, but probably shouldn't... if anything is adjusted or tightened incorrectly or put in backwards, the entire thing can blow apart inside of your engine it's just so critical they be assembled exactly to specs in the right order in the right orientation etc. IMHO I think it's worth it to have somebody who's already very experienced do the rebuilding of these things.

But, every professional rebuilder had to learn by doing to get their experience in doing the rebuilds so... it's your machine, it's your call. But yes you can rebuild it yourself if you want to learn how and feel up to the challenge.

- Michael

Thanks Michael,

The way I look at it is if they can do it so can I (unless it requires "special" knowledge or tools of coarse). In my car, I have rebuilt and narrowed rear ends, installed my own supercharger, cam shaft, valvesprings, headers, full exhaust, suspension, ect.. and did my own custom PCM tuning for peak power and drivability. I cant imagine these things are that hard? I am not afraid of diving in to something new and learning it, Just have to understand the ins and outs first.

Thanks again for the info

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back