Gtx 155,170, or 230

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Metnut

I’m in the market for a new 2019 gtx. I want the larger hull for stability and better ride in chop. I’m not concerned with arm wrenching takeoffs just reliable economical touring. I read that the 155 was a very reliable engine but the 170 can be found everywhere as well as the supercharged 230. Any comments or suggestions about which would be best will be greatly appreciated. I have seen all three advertised at dealers here in Texas.

The only real reason to get the more powerful engines is top speed. They will all obtain low-mid 50 mph speeds, the 230 should be able to hit 60? You have to ask yourself how important higher top speed is for your use. I've ridden 75 mph skis and riding at that speed is mostly done in brief spurts. Most of your time riding will be in the 40-55 mph range.

Thanks xspook. Any experience or knowledge as to which engine (155 or 170) is more reliable or easier to maintain?

The 155 and 170 have different engines.

155 has the Rotax 1503 non-supercharged aka NA - Naturally aspirated. The 155 hp engine was discontinued for 2020.

170 has the Rotax 1630 ACE NA (230 model has same engine with supercharger).

The Rotax 1630 ACE is the main engine for most of the newer SeaDoo models and was introduced in 2016.

Rotax engines | Sea-Doo Watercraft | Sea-Doo US

According to this site, the 1630 is loosely based on the previous Rotax 1503.

They control the hp output via computer tuning and addition of a supercharger.

I haven't heard of any problems with that engine.

The 1503 NA is a solid, proven engine and had been in production since the early 2000's.

I have put over 400 hours on the Rotax 1503 on a 2008 GTI 130, 2011 GTI 130 and 2012 GTI 155. The only problem I had was a failed head gasket around 250 hours. Fixed it and put on another 100 hours. Just sold that machine to upgrade, but it was running perfect and I'm sure it could go another 300 hours or more.

The only real DIY maintenance for the NA is oil and spark plug changes, which is very easy to do.

Expect to rebuild the pump every 100-200 hours.

The 155 is tried and tested and bulletproof. Hopefully the 170 will prove to be just as reliable but we won't know that for several more years. Unless you're a speed freak, I'd avoid the supercharged models (I own one - the annual winterizing is a pain and a real drawback when you want to go out on that warm sunny January day).

Just as xspook said, I'd only get a supercharged model if you want speed. It's just more maintenance and potential problems to arise down the line for something that it sounds like you don't care about.

155 has been around since 2002 I believe, so it's a solid engine. I'm sure the 170 will prove the same, and will give you a little extra power obviously. Between the two, I'd just say whatever is priced better.

If you're in the market for new, the 170 is probably better. It's probably more fuel efficient, and the extra power always helps. The 1503 you could probably find cheaper and find more used parts for it if you ever need to replace something. Those old 4tecs are a dime-a-dozen now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back