GTI 170 versus Kawasaki Ultra 160 LX

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

JoeRJGR

I am in the market for my first Ski. It will be used in a bay that gets choppy on my way to smoother water. I want to use the machine for crusing and also water sports. I'm an old guy and will appreciate a smoother ride.

I am currently looking at a 2023 GTI 170 (maybe wake pro) or a nearly new 2022 Kawasaki Ultra 160 xl. The Kawasaki is a tank and weights almost 200 pounds more than the GTI so I think it will handle rough water well. On the other hand the GTI has all the fun ski accessories like ski mode. I'm leaning toward the Kawi because it will end up being about $3,000 cheaper ($11,000 out the door), but mainly because it will handle the chop better.

Anyone have experience with both these machines? I have heard mixed things about the ski mode. Like it has to be done in neutral and you don't have time to pull up the rope slack prior to launch. But have also heard that the GTI hull is awesome in chop for its size.

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks!

I picked up a 2023 SeaDoo GTI SE 170 about two weeks ago. I did the same research you are doing now, exept I was set on a Yamaha VX Cruiser HO. However I spent 45 minutes talking to the maintenance supervisor whom also rents skis at the dealership. I came to the conclusion to grab the GTI. Yesterday my Wife and I found ourselves in the inlet of the Golf of Mexico off Fort Myers Beach. That Chassis did great in the waves. was stable, confident and enjoyable to toss around. For the return leg of the adventure, on the way back in the bay side of FMB, we were caught in one of our afternoon deluge thunder storms. I will admit the lightning was way to close and we ran for the shelter of the home dock. However it was very stable and predictable at full chat running for home. Rent them and run them both, your mileage may vary. Good luck and have fun!!

I have a 2023 GTI SE 170 as well 10 hours
I have been in choppy water in the bay
Haven't got the chance to take it
Out to ocean, it handles pretty good
Feels like my old 2010 gtx 155
But a lot more playful easy to handle
So far im very happy with the unit.

I have a 2021 Seadoo GTI SE 170 with 62 hours. I have ridden in pretty choppy conditions, and I put my trim all the way down, so the nose is up slightly, and it makes the chop smoother to navigate. In chop, I am not trying to improve handling specifically, I am trying to be comfortable with a smooth ride. I am pleased with how it performs on smooth water too, and it turns and handles great with the trim in the middle or trim down with the nose low in smooth water. I would like to compare it someday to a GTX 170, but I actually like the layout and storage of the GTI - but maybe I would like the GTX performance if I try it. Power is very sufficient too. I estimate 6 MPG for a total range of 96 miles at cruise - about 45 MPH. I go 80 miles at 45 MPH or faster on 1 full tank of 89 octane fuel. Low fuel light comes on pretty early with about 6 gallons of fuel left.

Back