gsx cranks when power connected no key/not pressing start button

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
97 GSX Ran great out on river till getting a 12v low error, took it in to dock, where it would not start again. got it on trailer and heard a sound like a bilge fan, right under airbox. (i am assuming it was starter spinning)
took off ground from battery, took it home and charged battery, as soon as i connected the negative terminal (dess key not on post), starter starts to crank.
replaced start button, and starter relay. Still same issue. if i unplug the switch lead to the starter relay (black and yellow wire in waterproof connector) then the starter doesn't crank, and 2 beeps when i put in dess key

I also just tested with a multimeter and there is a constant 12 v across the terminals on the plug that goes into the solenoid with a slight drop of .01 v when start button depressed
I tested the start button by putting the mpem in advanced mode, the start button works

any ideas where to look, I am assuming something inline in the yellow/black wire circuit is bad) Mpem?

thanks

Last edited:
Sounds like the MPEM is bad to me but maby others can provide more diagnostic help

Quick update, I suspected Same, MPEM, so I ordered one from westside, It came in today, plugged new MPEM in and no Cranking till I hit start button, 1 problem solved, but new problem appeared. I have no spark, tested and replaced coil, still no spark, put a test light on white wire(hot) wire to coil, no light when cranking. tested the yellow wires to see if the magneto coil was within spec, it was. Where else do I look, I called westside and they think mpem they sent may be bad, and will send me another one to try.
Any ideas before I send Out MPEM, I want to rule out any other issues

What about the trigger coil in the magnito? That’s what tells the mpem and coil when to spark.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back