Grrrr.... 951 DI Here we go !!!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

etemplet

Premium Member
Premium Member
Second time out with Break-In on the GTX DI. It's playing with me. :D :D 6120 RPM tops, pulls hard to that point and won't go over. WCV, Cleaned and tested injectors, tank filters replaced, raves rebuilt, hoses connected where they go (I'm pretty sure :D ) Idles great below 4000rpm no problems. I dont' think it is a TPS issue but I'll be checking all the electronics. Going for fuel pressure first but I don't think I'm gonna find a fuel problem in the driveway. Needs to be under load I'm thinking. INput is appreciated.

Last edited:
During the testing process I suspected the rave valves which I rebuilt previously so I decided to focus on the rave solenoid. After much testing of function and comparing, I did learn something. I got a 12v reading on the wires going to the rave solenoid but nothing would operate. I tested the solenoid using a 12v battery source and all the raves I tested we A OK. Hmmmm.... I found out that the Computer systems sends a mild voltage to the component to determine that it is "there."

Always good to have another ski of the same model on-site. After checking the rave set up I realzed I had the line from the compressor connected to the incorrect fitting on the rave. That explains a lot of what is going on with the ski for certain. I'm taking it out again to day and I'd like to see 6800rpm on the tach. :)

I realize there are not many people that have experience with DI skis and that is very true in my geographical area as well. I'm not concerned that few of my posts get responses but my main hope is that people with issues will benefit from the journey. I contacted Dennis at Candoo who is always helpful and he is the person that shared the 12v signal I was getting. Toiuchdowns everyone.... stick with any problem and learn why and how. That's how we get better and better.

Here is a picture of the old girl. I ride with the seat off during break-in cuz I want to see an know and feel what is going on inside. It isn't a comfortable position for sure. ha ha. I gotta say... these 951 DI's "got SUM AZZ" for sure. As big as this ski is it is some "Giddy-Up!!"

First Test Ride 2003 GTX RFI 6-23 (5).JPG

Just got it up to 50mph sooooo.... smooth. LOL Even power delivery.... I love these DIs.... when they're runnin like they should be.

I have the same machine and bought it apart and got it back together with new parts and I’m concerned about the water and vent lines. Could you send a couple pictures of yours for a dummy to compare? Thanks and good work on yours.

The di are great machines when they break they are a pain in the but.and parts are hard to find.i have a few at my shop and waiting for stupid little stuff.

I have the same machine and bought it apart and got it back together with new parts and I’m concerned about the water and vent lines. Could you send a couple pictures of yours for a dummy to compare? Thanks and good work on yours.
Yuuuup that is a problem. Lines everywhere on these things. :) Take your time and get it right for sure. I have lots of pictures but you can't follow the lines to each end. What lines do you question? Probably be better to explain where they go. This picture is what I do when I am installing the engine before I set it down on the mounts. It makes it easier. Whatever you do, the large black hose on the air pump.... the other end goes to the air filter. Easier for me to tell you where they go. Message me or post pictures of the lines in question and I'll take a look.

2003 GTX DI Hoses and Engine Install (2).JPEG

Like these, I have to follow them to find out where they end up. Black hose coming of the Double TEE is the Water Control Valve Feed. The hose coming of the WCV goest into the exhaust pipe up front. :D Like I said, easier for me to tell you where they go?

2003 GTX DI Engine & Hose Connections (15).JPEG

Nice write up
On the 2002 RXDI i have, the nipple on the green solenoid to the RAVEs was broken
JB welded it on. Will see if that works

Following along on these DI threads

Nice write up
On the 2002 RXDI i have, the nipple on the green solenoid to the RAVEs was broken
JB welded it on. Will see if that works

Following along on these DI threads
I probably can't find it but I think I started a DI thread a few years back. I was hoping it would be a mecca of information and experience for all things DI. It would be a great resource. The problem I had recently with the one I restored was.... I remove those valves when I pull the engines because they are so fragile. You have to be careful when disconnecting the hoses or installing zip ties. I once tried using the black valve off an RFI but the ski had problems and ran much better when I installed the green solenoid valve. I am tempted to try that experiment again. :)

The BLACK solenoids are easy to find and cheap. Green solenoids are not as plentiful. They look the same... :D :D

Rave Solenoid Comparison Green and Black  (1).JPEG

Rave Solenoid Comparison Green and Black  (3).JPEG

I learned that these two were not interchangeable also, from this thread below. Black solenoid is for Carbureted 951's. I am saving folks names for future reference on these DI's as I may be an owner of two in a few days if I can work out a better deal with the PO.

Direct Injected RAVE Solenoid Alternatives
Broke a nipple off my rave Solenoid. Im aware the carb RAVE Solenoid is not compatible. I cannot find much in the way of used ones that dont end up in me being scammed. I have already tried alternative, vehicle, solenoids that shared the same connector but they cannot hold the compressor pressure.

I'm certainly curious as to the differece between the RFI and DI solenoid valves other than the color. LOL The look exactly alike unless the ports are not the same configuration. Basically all that happens is the valve opens and closes. Easy to test. I'm gonna do some research on this.

I found this on EBAY but not sure it will work. It's close to the correct color anyway. LOL

PIERBURG on EBAY

There is also THIS valve which is supposed to be for the 2000-2002 DI. I have one or two of these as well.

Rave Valve DI - Early Model.jpg

Last edited:
so on the 2001 RX DI, it has the solenoid valve pictured above & attached. The 2002 RX DI has the Green on from PIBREURG; mine has a bit of JB Welded to attach the nipple back on to it. Hopefully that will work.

So unfortunately, having these two waverunners, some things just aren't the same. Assume the perform equally but one has to mess with the connector as they don't match up.

Attachments

• IMG_4199[1].JPG
    IMG_4199[1].JPG
    307.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4198[1].JPG
    IMG_4198[1].JPG
    276.4 KB · Views: 6
I'd put a very flexible hose coming from the raves onto the solenoid. As little stress as possible would be best.

I'm still curious about the cheaper substitution. These people are NUTZ on the pricing of the green one. Absolute GREED as usual but I digress. If the solenoid works on the previous model year then all things much be equal in the internal department. I mean... all they do is open and close and provide a certain orfice size internally (I'm guessing here or the black on would work).

on your question on the cheaper substitution, the black solenoid valve used on the carb version of the 951 RAVE valve doesn't work. Per forum member "Grayson", he says it won't hold the pressure from the DI air pump

1692034758569.png

on your question on the cheaper substitution, the black solenoid valve used on the carb version of the 951 RAVE valve doesn't work. Per forum member "Grayson", he says it won't hold the pressure from the DI air pump

That Carb model would be something to mess with for sure to determine construction and performance. I know the one I tried didn't work but I'm thinking the earlier model from the 951 should work if you modified the plug. It would be a much cheaper route to take.

One thing for certain, the greedy resellers could care less if they bought it for a quarter, they are gonna one TOP $$$. Sickening to me. Good skis rotten because of greed.

Will test out my JB Weld job tomorrow. Glued tube to nipple, used hair dryer to heat tube to relieve any stress it applies to the nipple as well

Attachments

• IMG_4204.jpeg
    IMG_4204.jpeg
    318.5 KB · Views: 5
my JB Weld seems to work. Engine runs better on water hose; real test in water.

so I wonder if the 2001 solenoid (seadoo p/n 270600028) would work in place of the 2002 green one. Of course they are not available new either but used ones are way cheaper compared to the green one (seadoo p/n 270600044)

Talked with PO and he agreed to take these two waverunners back and just give me the $ back. I learned quite a bit on these DI's and did lots of work to get them running. But after all I have heard on these models, it'd be best to find newer models. Kinda a disappointment as these are like new (only 65 hrs on the 2001 & 45 hrs on the 2002), oh well, a learning experience.....

Thanks for all the responses from you all.....cheers

Wow you found an honest man but.... he is probably better off now that you've done a lot of work. I like the 2-strokes. If you want reliability and ease to work on the 717 engined skis are the best as far as I am concerned but they don't have the power of the 787s. 787 Carbs are really good skis for the average mechanical owner. 4-strokes = big money to purchase and repair, also heavy but one buys what one likes. LOL Good Luck !!

Haha, a month or so ago, I sold my two 1995 Seadoo's to 'supposedly' upgrade to the RX DI's. Had an XP and an HX. Rebuilt both engines, carbs, basically restored them. HX was a fun machine but only for one person. And with a couple daughter's & their boyfriends, I wanted two that carried two people each. Oh well, live an learn.... Probably should have just kept what I had, dang it....

Attachments

• IMG_4062.JPG
    IMG_4062.JPG
    381.4 KB · Views: 2
These 2 right here would be expensive to replace. I painted my wife's handle bar cover last month so they both pretty now. Ha ha. both skis completely restored. I played hell getting my ski to keep up with hers. I like the old carb 787s for fun and reliability. Although mine developed some BS from sitting 3 months. Throttle stuck !! LOL Going riding in a few minutes. Get you some of deez !!

Double Skis Trailer (3).JPG

Back