got a tune and nothing happened.. am i getting screwed?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

wakedude36

So I am a new owner of a 2014 seadoo wake 155 that I purchased from a friend.. I just paid a certain company to have the jet ski tuned/ remapped to increase the HP from 155 to 170. I just got the ECU back, installed it, and went to the lake to test the new tune. To my surprise, the machine seemed to perform the same if not worse than it did before.. Top speed was 56 mph at 6800 rpm with trim full nose up on smooth water. I called the company that tuned it and described the issue.. He said that since I had a non-stock impeller (which I told him about), that it was the issue that was preventing the tune/map from working as designed... He said he cannot make tunes for non-stock impellers..I was also told that I needed to remove the impeller and have it re-pitched to match the tune... this all seems like bullsh** to me but Id like to ask the community as I am new to PWCs... Here are some of the questions I have..

1) What is max RPM on a stock GTI/Wake 155 at full speed?
2) what max speeds are most people getting on a stock ski?

3) what was the stock impeller pitch on a 2014 wake 155? the new impeller was installed by the previous owner (a friend) since the stock one was damaged
4) can a non stock impeller (solas 11/19) cause the RPMs to drop that dramatically?
5) the RPM limiter was supposedly raised to 8400 rpm.. would a non-stock impeller impede the RPMs from actually reaching that limit? or would they just reach that limit at a different mph?
6) will the ECU limit RPMs based on fuel quality/ octane? I was running 87 octane fuel today with the new tune/map, and was told that I should use a higher octane fuel

Thanks in advance

I’m considering doing this as well on my 2006 wake 155 so I’m curious if you got anymore help from the company. Was is from race lab?

I have done tunes and truly the only skies I have seen actually get something out of the tune when ski was stock were 60hp sparks and 300 models. There is an old saying when it comes to performance. To do one thing you have to do five others. Company should have told you though however Riva says the same thing with their SCOM units. There is no change in the ski after install and then they tell you to buy a new impeller. A friend did and still the same. Most stock skis are already going as fast as they can to begin with. ECU is not holding them back and tune only helps when other upgrades are done. Only 300 models are being held back by the ecu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back