Gel coat repair on keel needed

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

gregj

This is my son's GTX, not sure what he hit, probably trailer trying to load it. :cuss: From what I've researched thus far, it looks like this is something I should be able to do myself. Any suggestions on best kit to get?

Attachments

• IMG_1969.JPG
    IMG_1969.JPG
    697.4 KB · Views: 63
Ouch! No, I think that's pretty severe and should be repaired by a professional shop. Looks like it hit hard, with some fiberglass damage.

You shouldn't try loading these jet propelled watercraft by driving them onto the trailer, they should be walked onto the trailer (what, afraid of getting wet???). Trying to drive a jet propelled watercraft onto it's trailer is just asking for hull damage... :-(

- Michael

I figured as much. He says he didnt hit the trailer. We just bought two GTXs used, and I cant believe I missed something like that on this one when looking it over. Thanks

Yeah no he hit something with it the damage looks "fresh" (exposed fiberglass get's dingy and dirty looking after awhile).

I'd take it to some local boat repair shops and get 2 or 3 estimates, even take it by at least 1 SeaDoo Dealership and get an estimate from them... then decide what to do.

- Michael

ps. Do NOT ride it anymore with that damage! Water flowing past the damaged area can get under the hull's gelcoat and start peeling large flakes of fiberglass/gelcoat loose from the bottom of the hull!!!! This one is parked till it can be properly repaired! - Michael

I figured as much. He says he didnt hit the trailer. We just bought two GTXs used, and I cant believe I missed something like that on this one when looking it over. Thanks

Good for chips in the gelcoat, not so much for damage like this though. I used one of their repair kits for a chip about the size of a quarter on the upper part of mine's hull where the boat numbers go, it came out pretty good very difficult to tell where the chip had been now.

- Michael

That's cool, I never used it but heard it blends real nice to the original stuff.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

ps. Do NOT ride it anymore with that damage! Water flowing past the damaged area can get under the hull's gelcoat and start peeling large flakes of fiberglass/gelcoat loose from the bottom of the hull!!!! This one is parked till it can be properly repaired! - Michael

That's the plan. Son is away in school anyway.

That's cool, I never used it but heard it blends real nice to the original stuff.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

The color match (black, in my case) is spot-on... and it's not too hard to use. Only downside is they charge wayyy too much for s&h on these kits, it was like >$20 for a very small very light-weight box... probably less than $8 USPS Priority Mail for the actual shipping cost. They're gouging customers on shipping and handling... but what 'ya gonna do? :-(

- Michael

The color match (black, in my case) is spot-on... and it's not too hard to use. Only downside is they charge wayyy too much for s&h on these kits, it was like >$20 for a very small very light-weight box... probably less than $8 USPS Priority Mail for the actual shipping cost. They're gouging customers on shipping and handling... but what 'ya gonna do? :-(

- Michael

Boys will be boys...but dayuuum! That is not the result of low speed impact IMO.

Michael is spot on re: product quality and the S&H gouging. I will be sanding down a hull gouge repair that I layed down yesterday (here in about four hours) using their "scratch and gouge kit".

Gelcote Int. premixes the color for you in their paste. it is simple to mix and apply, but the cost is prohibitive...$58 for a 2oz. kit S&H incl. Stupid expensive. The S&H is essentially the same for a quart size order, but they will not ship the MEKP hardner for qt. sizes and up...(volitile stuff, and they recomend you pick it up locally)

I would certainly follow the 3 estimate path to determine the size of the pill I would have to swallow. And if all three want to bend me over without kissing me first, I set a DIY course of action.

Your picture w/ estimates would provide the site with valuable reference info. Please let us in on those estimates when you secure them.

Good luck to Ya!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back