Fuse in rear electrical box - help

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Midmo

I've posted on here about this already - but have a new question. I've got a 96 GSX that is dead (new battery, no beeps or power to the guages).

I had checked the fuses in the electrical box in the front - but hadn't pulled the back one till just now.

I opened the back electrical box (with two red wires running out, one to battery, and two going to the plugs). I've got two fuse holders there. One has a good 15 amp fuse. The second didn't have any fuse - just empty. I found in the owner's manual that it should be a 7.5 amp fuse (I think). All I had was a 5 - put in and still don't have any power, won't turn over.

To my knowledge that fuse has never been there. I used this a couple of summers and it always ran fine. The only thing that didn't ever work was the VTS (of which the wire harness is unplugged I believe).

I did jump the started last night and the engine turned over.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Rear Box
Is the ground wire from bottom of coil connected to battery? The 7.5amp IS the
VTS. the 15amp is a system fuse. A spare holder should contain a copy of each.
Bad reed relays in the vts houseing module can cause the 7.5 to blow, as well as
the 5amp in the front box. It is on the MPEM module next to the 15amp fuse there.
Putting a fuse in the rear 7.5 may have blown the 5amp on mpem module. I suggest
you do not put a 7.5amp fuse in the holder or you disconect the vts electrical connectors to rule the vts out of this equasion. Try auto jumper cable to just the
engine block and the negative post of the battery and re-try, as your main battery
cable may be internally corroded at the lug. Bills86e

Thanks! That does make sense - the VTS has never worked since I bought it and I hooked the harness back at one point and blew a fuse in the front. I'll just leave that alone then.

I did jump the solenoid in the rear electrical box and it turned over. So I'm guessing my battery cables are alright then?

If its spinning the engine over just fine, I'd say Yes. Ground a plug to engine bolt to
see if you have spark. Dribble some pre-mix fuel in *plug holes and try re-start. You need a good charged battery, and ensure the fuel routes. Gas goes bad in three weeks. Bad gas needs disposed. Bills86e

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back