Full Bore no engine year later

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

97explorer717

I'm setting at a year past my build date. Dan has my best core engine and $1500. To make it even better raves, pto, rotary valve, rt valve cover and front mag cover is also in there. I was told to send it with it. I had all that removed. At the time sounded nice of him to offer to do that. About at the point to have and part the boat out on eBay just to recoup some money. Today is my last day to be able and do anything. 2 Seasons down, two new batteries trashed and three tarps later.

I've been following the story. Poster has been waiting a YEAR for an engine he paid for with good hard earned money. He is well past the, "Whoops I lost the receipt." He has tried everyting time and again and been very patient.. When is enough... enough?? It's long past time for the MONEY or the ENGINE and not in a week... TODAY.

Personally I've read many of the responses when Full Bore is mentioned in a negative way. If it were SES or SBT these forums would be like a pack of wild dogs on a bone. No doubt someone will sway this thread with bad experiences of other builders that get repeated time and again. I think it is time to deal with this equally and with justice. So bring the... "Dan is a good guy" comments that I'll expect to see shortly or the other excuses that he isn't good at communications, he takes on too much work, does too much free stuff, quality takes a long time... etc...

A year for a paid for engine, no delivery and no money back. When is enough enough??

I bought an engine from SBT and have been beating the living shit out of it. Put 15 hours on that engine in 2 weeks and it's been taking a pounding with no issues. I do not regret my purchase one bit. My engine grenaded (counterbalance shaft bearing) and I was back in the water within 10 days.

Called, emailed, FB messaged. That's it. Was told a couple times a few more weeks.

Your best bet is to join the Seadoo 2 stroke FB page where he's a moderator and put it on blast, it's over 7000 people now. He tends to respond on there and will probably get on it. Give the details...how much you paid and how long you've been waiting.

Your best bet is to join the Seadoo 2 stroke FB page where he's a moderator and put it on blast, it's over 7000 people now. He tends to respond on there and will probably get on it. Give the details...how much you paid and how long you've been waiting.
It's on there. Let's see if it stays on there. Probably going to be my fault. Haven't waited long enough. This is not the best!

It's on there. Let's see if it stays on there. Probably going to be my fault. Haven't waited long enough. This is not the best!

I was just on there and saw it, the problem is the admin co founders and a few others always prop him up and defend him, "he does good work" "it takes time" etc.. personally I'd give up and demand my money and engine back, there's no more excuses..

Unless they remove him as a moderator or threaten to remove him from the page because he runs a bad business, which by any customer service standard it is, not much will change. I'd get my money and engine back and move on..

It's at a point now that SBT is the only reasonable choice in the community, the rest out there suck at it..

The only thing I do on facebook now days is messenger, the rest of facebook is just trash. But someone did screenshot me your post, and as long as you're just stating facts and not joining in a pissing contest with chuckleheads (as i'm sure there's going to be a bunch of) the post should should stay.

Yeah, I’m really not happy with the way those issues are being handled over there. There are some decent people in that group, but I’ve seen a few posts recently where they just jump on anyone who has anything bad to say about a particular vendor. And people aren’t exactly shy about resorting to name calling...

So, I'll sum it up for everyone in one word.

HONESTY

That's it plain and simple. Don't bullshit people, if your having issues keeping up with demand tell them. If your work is good enough your reputation should stand for itself. I sell new parts on here that I manufacture, I tell guys when I don't have stuff. I tell guys when I can get parts out. I have a life outside making parts. I typically have stuff on hand if I don't I'll make it as fast as I can. If it's something I have made outside my garage there is a lead time, I tell guys that. I have guys that inquire I tell them lead times and they're ok with that. Every once in a while guys can't wait and go and get parts else where. When I go back and tell them I'm ready to ship and they tell me the bought else where. I'm ok with that, I'll just sell these to the next guy. I get it, I'm not nearly as much a business as full bore is. But these rebuilder guys are taking parts and money and basically holding them hostage, like the OP. He shouldn't have to resort to this. HONESTY that's all it takes, I think we're all pretty laid back here. One of these days I'll actually get around to making a step by step of how to build a 787 with pictures. I wish more guys would build their own stuff, I get it it's scary, but the satisfaction is exhilarating when you're on the water and you know your hands, your blood, your sweat and your beers got you where you are.

I'M DONE! I deleted the post on FB. I don't need to hear people putting me down about this. My phone was blowing up. All I wanted is to get the family out on the lake. Me and my wife both cashed in our vacation for this. She which is a nurse and do I have to explain what Ward she's working in the Ed right now. Guess Full Bore doesn't care about our front-line workers. I have enough to worry about besides this waking me up all hours of the night.
I got a message from Dan after I said I want my stuff sent back and refund. Apparently it was being built this week and he would box it back up. Maybe I shot myself in the foot and maybe not. I watch other people gripe about being months in and get their stuff sent back complete and here I sit. Have yet to see anybody else a year in.
Here's some interesting reading. Especially the second page. I didn't bug him and recently was the third time contacting. "Refresh" WAS the idea
I can say this... people on this site have a lot better personality than on the FB forum. I know some of you are on both obviously. Why is it acceptable to be waiting this long with me and my wife's hard-earned money. Our vacations a year later and nothing. Was supposed to be cash it in and get a couple longer weekends at the lake. Dan's wife's on vacation right now apparently. As far as I'm concerned on me and my wife's dime. Unbelievable!
Dan could make this "better". Will it happen? Probably not. Best case scenario I get a quality rebuilt engine back within a week. Second option I get a unbuilt engine back, a refund and sit again waiting for a rebuild from somebody else. Last is no refund, no engine and have to fight for it.

Last edited:
Take your money and parts and be done with this joker. Don't second guess yourself about demanding your stuff back. Only after calling him out on social media, your motor was miraculously scheduled for build this week. I call bullshit! How many motors were sent in after yours, finished and returned? If it were me, I'd tell him he can just pay to ship it to SBT rather than back to you. Little bit of a middle finger to him for jerking you around for 12 months. Sorry to hear about your misfortune, and hope you're able to enjoy some time on the water with your family yet this year

Yeah, I’m really not happy with the way those issues are being handled over there. There are some decent people in that group, but I’ve seen a few posts recently where they just jump on anyone who has anything bad to say about a particular vendor. And people aren’t exactly shy about resorting to name calling...

When 2 of the 6 moderators on a page are vendors, they'll always be a conflict of interest with the people on it. One of those vendors has voiced about deleting links to competitors, because they feel the parts are too cheap and it's to 'protect' us. Whatever, anybody running a page that has a vendor doing bad business would remove them until they cleaned up their act. Yet, that doesn't happen, and to add to insult they're a moderator.

but the satisfaction is exhilarating when you're on the water and you know your hands, your blood, your sweat and your beers got you where you are.

Good way to sum that up, I tend to feel better I did it than having my doubts if a rebuilder did it right. Unfortunately, pretty much all of us need someone to bore/fit cylinders for a top end. I'd say currently, there's a huge vacuum in the community for someone to get that right and turn it around in a reasonable time frame. As of right now, the only vendor that is doing that is SBT, you will get them promptly. There's guys on the FB forum that have been waiting 6 months just to get a top end back from FullBore, which again is ridiculous.

Good way to sum that up, I tend to feel better I did it than having my doubts if a rebuilder did it right. Unfortunately, pretty much all of us need someone to bore/fit cylinders for a top end. I'd say currently, there's a huge vacuum in the community for someone to get that right and turn it around in a reasonable time frame. As of right now, the only vendor that is doing that is SBT, you will get them promptly. There's guys on the FB forum that have been waiting 6 months just to get a top end back from FullBore, which again is ridiculous.
I've rebuilt two engines in my life. One a Mazda 323 and the other a 70 horsepower Evinrude. Both of which the bottom ends failed. I will do everything BUT internal engine, Transmissions, exhaust and alignments. The latter few is because I don't have the equipment. Damm I paid for a service and just want a Quality Engine Back! I know my limits of how far deep I'm capable of going in.

Last edited:
You did the correct thing, there was no way in hell your engine was getting built anytime soon. Go with SBT and enjoy the rest of your summer.

Honestly, I hate recommending SBT because there have been some instances of shoddy machine work, and the parts are definitely not top shelf components, but I have two of their engines that have been great runners and haven’t given me an ounce of trouble. My advice to anyone in this position would be to roll the dice with SBT, and just be sure to inspect the motor closely before install. While you do hear occasional stories about the quality of their parts, the one thing you almost never hear any complaints about is their customer service... If you find a problem with one of their engines, they will fix it, and you won’t lose a whole season waiting to get on the water.

I've rebuilt two engines in my life. One a Mazda 323 and the other a 70 horsepower Evinrude. Both of which the bottom ends failed. I will do everything BUT internal engine, Transmissions, exhaust and alignments. The latter few is because I don't have the equipment. Damm I paid for a service and just want a Quality Engine Back! I know my limits of how far deep I'm capable of going in.

Both those motors are a bit more complex than a two stroke DOO motor. If you got them to run then doing a DOO motor should be pretty easy since the construction is a lot more simple. Get the shop manual, take your time and chances are good your next try at a DOO motor will be successful, the bottom end is already done.

Both those motors are a bit more complex than a two stroke DOO motor. If you got them to run then doing a DOO motor should be pretty easy since the construction is a lot more simple. Get the shop manual, take your time and chances are good your next try at a DOO motor will be successful, the bottom end is already done.
Honestly I probably could have and was very tempted. The Mazda motor made it a couple thousand miles. I know what my problem was with that one. Wasn't clean with my rebuild on the bottom end. The 70 Evinrude not too sure. I'm confident in my work that just kind of shies you away. I will pull a head in a heartbeat, have it redone and I reinstall with no problem. The Evinrude I had bought cheap due to a pump failure. Ask me why I'm a premix guy. If the engines getting oil it's getting gas. Or vice versa whatever. The Evinrude made it through break in. Actually had Bombardier sticker on the side. Sent the crank off to be redone by a guy in Hawaii. HE said at that time ever since they went with Bombardier their cranks were crap. IM NOT SAYING THAT! Did some trash get in the bottom end when the pump failed and lock the top end up of that motor? IDK but that scares me personally from rebuilding.

Ha, it can be nerve racking. Just be slow, clean, diligent and methodical. Follow the manual and you can't go wrong. I rebuilt my first 5.0 engine solo for my mustang in high school. I had rebuilt several other engines with my dad as a child so I had a good basis on what to do. I rebuilt a few 4 stroke atv engines as a youth, and several 2 strokes as well. My father pushed me to rebuild the 4L60E trans in my Yukon when it blew. I was so nervous. I bought a DVD on how to do it. He had been wanting me to rebuild an automatic for years. He bought me all the speciality tools I needed. Needles to say, it was easier and less nerve-racking than rebuilding an engine. I had to replace a lot of the hard parts in the trans, they got trashed. I also upgraded many parts inside. The cool thing is you can test all the clutches with air before you button it up confirming you have a solid build. So, if you're persistent and detailed you can do do it. I've since rebuilt 2 other transmissions. That first trans is still going with about 60k on it and it's going to the junk yard one if these days since the frame rotted on the Yukon. Never give up.

The cool thing is you can test all the clutches with air before you button it up confirming you have a solid build.

I just did my first auto transmission rebuild recently, when my young son didn't have $2K to do it. I was a little nervous also, I've always done engines and everything else, just never a transmission. As a good excuse to visit Harbor Freight, I ended up getting a 10 ton press and a better snap ring tool. Yes, the compressed air is a cool way to check it. It ended up not being as bad as I thought, though in the end it was just a bad valve body.

Last edited:
I just did my first auto transmission rebuild recently, when my young son didn't have $2K to do it. I was a little nervous also, I've always done engines and everything else, just never a transmission. As a good excuse to visit Harbor Freight, I ended up getting a 10 ton press and a better snap ring tool. Yes, the compressed air is a cool way to check it. It ended up not being as bad as I thought, though in the end it was just a bad valve body.
Makes you realize what trans shops charge you for. My trans grenaded. I could still see Raybestos printed on the friction clutches with 169k on them. I know a trans shop would have just reused the, replaced what was bad and charged me for everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back