Fuel sender question

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary pope

I am in the process of doing sone swapping from a 93 spx to a gts. To make it short, on top of the fuel sender there is I think 4 hoses that come out of it. Does it really matter which of the 4 go to the carbs & which go to everywhere else?

I am in the process of doing sone swapping from a 93 spx to a gts. To make it short, on top of the fuel sender there is I think 4 hoses that come out of it. Does it really matter which of the 4 go to the carbs & which go to everywhere else?

Are you trying to be funny? Yes, it does matter...you've got supply, reserve, vent, return and each line goes to the corresponding connection.

If you look closely on the ring around the sending unit, right under where the hoses connect, you’ll see some engraved letters showing which line goes where.

If you go a google image search for “Sea Doo Fuel Line Routing” you should find exactly what you need! I’d post a photo, but I don’t want to steal one from a competing forum...

OK, I got the tank pulled out with the sander still in it and I left the fuel selector switch in tact and the fuel filter so now my only question is there’s two lines, one that goes directly from the fuel sender I’m assuming to the carburetor, and then the other line goes from the fuel filter I’m assuming to another part of the carburetor. Correct me if I’m wrong

I just got done screwing around with this because I had to replace the float for the fuel gauge in the sender. The float had no visible damage, but it immediately sank to the bottom of a Mason jar of gas.

The letters are hard to see, but on the pic below you can make out RES below one of the hose connector fittings just above and to the left of where the wires enter the top of the sending unit. This is out of my 97 GTX.

Hose going back to the carb(s) without a fuel filter is the "RET", the line with the fuel filter is the "ON" line. the line going to the hull is VEN and that leaves the RES as the remaining hose to connect.

Good luck

sender.jpg

If you look closely on the ring around the sending unit, right under where the hoses connect, you’ll see some engraved letters showing which line goes where.
Mine has these letter labels as described, very faint and no doubt they can easily be covered in grime. Can't say they all have these.
There are two tubes running to the bottom, the lowest one is the main fuel pickup and 2nd up not as low is reserve fuel pickup.

The other two nipples are fuel return from carbs 1/4" and the tank vent nipple. Maybe vent nipple is larger diameter? I don't recall exactly but I think so.

The lowest into the tank should be the reserve and the shorter the on. That way when you run down to a level of on then you can switch to reserve and still have some full left at the lower level. Or am I’m thinking about this wrong? And the res and on should run to the Spector if you have one.

Yeah, mine has absolutely no running in it whatsoever so I guess I’m gonna have to try this by process of elimination

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 11
OK let me see if I have this figured out, I have one hose it comes off the center that splits into two hoses which I’m assuming are for vent. I have one long hose that goes to nothing which I’m assuming is the return line, I have two hoses coming off of it they go into the fuel selector switch which lead to the fuel filter which in turn has one line coming out of it which I’m assuming is the main inlet for the carburetor. Correct me if I’m wrong here

The lowest into the tank should be the reserve and the shorter the on. That way when you run down to a level of on then you can switch to reserve and still have some full left at the lower level. Or am I’m thinking about this wrong? And the res and on should run to the Spector if you have one.

Oh yeah duh got it backwards, silly me! :)

OK let me see if I have this figured out, I have one hose it comes off the center that splits into two hoses which I’m assuming are for vent. I have one long hose that goes to nothing which I’m assuming is the return line, I have two hoses coming off of it they go into the fuel selector switch which lead to the fuel filter which in turn has one line coming out of it which I’m assuming is the main inlet for the carburetor. Correct me if I’m wrong here

Sounds like maybe you have it right. The vent I believe does have a "T" fitting and a check valve in the tubing that goes to the through hull vent. The other tube of the vent "T" goes up to the fuel fill to allow air while filling the tank so it doesn't spit fuel while filling.

The return fuel line from the carbs goes directly to the fuel baffle return nipple and the two fuel supply (RUN/RES) are plumbed to the 2 inlets of the fuel switch valve. The outlet of the fuel valve is the fuel supply to the carburetor fuel pump.

Hopefully I'm not confusing anyone.

To reiterate, the fuel baffle run pickup nipple is the 2nd highest tube from the tank bottom, the reserve nipple reaches the lowest in the tank baffle to get that last bit of swill sloshing around in the tank bottom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back