Fuel Problem???

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

jake5757

Hello seadooforum I have a 97 challenger 1800 with the twin 787cc 110 hp rotax engines. Compression is good, spark is good, and apparently the seadoo shop rebuilt the carbs (lied to me before about fixing it), new oil and gas, etc but my engines especially my left on is not getting full power. I noticed that when i run the boat for about thirty seconds that the fuel button lights up and the alarm beeps fast paced beeps until i press that fuel button once. But once i press the fuel button its still lit up. My fuel gauge also isnt working. Im thinking for sure this is a fuel issue but just wondering what else i should check and how the fuel lines should correctly be ran on these boats.

I also changed all the fuel lines to the black type besides a couple of small short ones on the carbs. I set the low speed to 1 1/2 and the high i never touched but it looks to be about a turn and a quarter out.

one question is Do i pop that plastic high speed cap off and turn that high speed screw clockwise all the way shut?

Another question is what is the correct way these fuel lines are supposed to be ran from that baffle to the carbs etc. Pics would be great if anyone can as im new to this lol.any help on this would be great i already searched what i could and just cant seem to find what im looking for.

Umm...Not to insult you or anything. But did you check to make sure it isnt out of gas? You say the gauge doesnt work soooo thought maybe it is something that simple. If its too low, the beeper sounds. Pushing the button will silence it but it wont fill the tank.

Umm...Not to insult you or anything. But did you check to make sure it isnt out of gas? You say the gauge doesnt work soooo thought maybe it is something that simple. If its too low, the beeper sounds. Pushing the button will silence it but it wont fill the tank.

lol that was the first thing i checked and i also read that the temp sensors beep the same so i replaced them too still didnt help i know its fuel just wondering if the dealers hooked up the hoses wrong or something.

sorry jake, that was actually kinda funny.

You'll get it figured out..tons of good quality advice on here.

sorry jake, that was actually kinda funny.

You'll get it figured out..tons of good quality advice on here.

hey i was indeed lol i hope someone can help me get this figured i have some mechanical knowledge just need to know what goes where lol.

you'd be surprised how many people are that simple...i work with a guy everyday who i have to think for like that...lol

Does the parts blow up of the fuel system help you with placement maybe?

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com/seadooforums/Seadoo_oem/Seadoo_JB.asp?Type=13&A=19&B=18

i might be able to go off of this appreciate your time rfoster. Still wondering if my high speed screw needs adjusting it looks like its about a turn and a quarter out if you popped that plastic stop off. i wonder if i should pop if off and turn it all the way shut and then put the plastic tab back on

Same boat

I am in the "same boat" as you, in more ways than one. I recently bought a 97 challenger 1800 as well, and one of my engines has the problem where it bogs and looses power at take off. It seems like a fuel starvation probably to me as well. I also have some mechanical ability but am new to these boats. Here is what I have looked at so far, hoping it might help you more than it has me. But I have learned alot in this whole process reading on here.

First thing I checked was my fuel filters. I acctually replaced mine to no avail.

I already have replaced fuel lines, so I assume that is not the problem.

Next I looked at the fuel petcock, as I guess they are kinda known to get gummed up and clogged from what I read. Mine were clean.

Next I Took the carbs off to check them out, I heard there is a small fuel filter inside the carbs and I found it. Mine was clean and everything else looked good in the carbs. I did replace a couple parts just for good messure, mainly garkets.

Next I read the Rave Vales might need cleaned. I had no clue what that was, so I kept reading and eventually found they are the black round plastic things above the exhaust manafold with big red DOT in the center. I read in the manual that they basically adjust the exhaust port size/position in the cylinder. I pulled mine out, and sure enough they had alot of carbon build up and oil residue. Previous owner told me he always mixed oil in gas as well as used the oil injection for "extra oil". So it kinda made sense that these RAVE valves would be so dirty. I have now cleaned them and replaced the gaskets. I have not tested yet, but I am hoping this is the problem as many of the seem to be experts on here recommend this as a common issue with what we are both experiencing. The job was fairly easy. I used a wire brush bit on a drill and worked fairly well.

I also pulled the Fuel baffle out of the tank. My guage didn't work either, and I found the float to be full of fuel so I ordered a new float that is suppose to be fixed off e-bay. Also while in there, there is two filters at the bottom of the baffle. I am not sure if mine where dirty as I knocked them off in the tank pulling the baffle out, not realizing there were there, so don't be to hard on the baffle when pulling it out. It is also and easy job, just have to make sure you have the space. I was trying to leave some lines attached and that caused me my problem. But the fuel float was less than $20 and I previously replaced one on a PWC with great luck. So I ordered new in the tank filters yesterday as well.

I beleive that is everything that I have done so far relating to the engine. None of it has been that bad. I can't yet tell you it solved all my problems but I am hoping once I get my parts in that the rave valves or in tank filters were the main problem.

Oh now to try to give you some other info I found you seem to be looking for.

Check out this thread.
http://www.seadooforum.com/showthread.php?t=3554

It has alot of great info in it. It says the high speed needle should be set to 0 if I read that correctly. It says, It is all the way in, and the plastic cap only gives you about a 1/4 turn out. It also talks about the correct setting for the idle needle as well.

I hope this helps. I am no expert, but I think I am relaying information I had read from others correctly.

Static

I am in the "same boat" as you, in more ways than one. I recently bought a 97 challenger 1800 as well, and one of my engines has the problem where it bogs and looses power at take off. It seems like a fuel starvation probably to me as well. I also have some mechanical ability but am new to these boats. Here is what I have looked at so far, hoping it might help you more than it has me. But I have learned alot in this whole process reading on here.

First thing I checked was my fuel filters. I acctually replaced mine to no avail.

I already have replaced fuel lines, so I assume that is not the problem.

Next I looked at the fuel petcock, as I guess they are kinda known to get gummed up and clogged from what I read. Mine were clean.

Next I Took the carbs off to check them out, I heard there is a small fuel filter inside the carbs and I found it. Mine was clean and everything else looked good in the carbs. I did replace a couple parts just for good messure, mainly garkets.

Next I read the Rave Vales might need cleaned. I had no clue what that was, so I kept reading and eventually found they are the black round plastic things above the exhaust manafold with big red DOT in the center. I read in the manual that they basically adjust the exhaust port size/position in the cylinder. I pulled mine out, and sure enough they had alot of carbon build up and oil residue. Previous owner told me he always mixed oil in gas as well as used the oil injection for "extra oil". So it kinda made sense that these RAVE valves would be so dirty. I have now cleaned them and replaced the gaskets. I have not tested yet, but I am hoping this is the problem as many of the seem to be experts on here recommend this as a common issue with what we are both experiencing. The job was fairly easy. I used a wire brush bit on a drill and worked fairly well.

I also pulled the Fuel baffle out of the tank. My guage didn't work either, and I found the float to be full of fuel so I ordered a new float that is suppose to be fixed off e-bay. Also while in there, there is two filters at the bottom of the baffle. I am not sure if mine where dirty as I knocked them off in the tank pulling the baffle out, not realizing there were there, so don't be to hard on the baffle when pulling it out. It is also and easy job, just have to make sure you have the space. I was trying to leave some lines attached and that caused me my problem. But the fuel float was less than $20 and I previously replaced one on a PWC with great luck. So I ordered new in the tank filters yesterday as well.

I beleive that is everything that I have done so far relating to the engine. None of it has been that bad. I can't yet tell you it solved all my problems but I am hoping once I get my parts in that the rave valves or in tank filters were the main problem.

Oh now to try to give you some other info I found you seem to be looking for.

Check out this thread.
http://www.seadooforum.com/showthread.php?t=3554

It has alot of great info in it. It says the high speed needle should be set to 0 if I read that correctly. It says, It is all the way in, and the plastic cap only gives you about a 1/4 turn out. It also talks about the correct setting for the idle needle as well.

I hope this helps. I am no expert, but I think I am relaying information I had read from others correctly.

Static

Thanks a million for your help static ya i havent got to the fuel baffle yet but im expecting either the magnets to have fallen off or just stuck (hopeing lol). got the carbs all set correct not and did alot of what u did. my raves were also very dirty. Havent taken it out i will today here but hope it fixes it.

so did ur gauge beep all the time at start up too?

i looked at how the plugs are burning and my good engine is getting lots of oil which doesnt hurt i guess and smokes abit more while the bad engine has no smoke and the plugs are too clean for my liking so i think next will be playing with the oil setup on that side.

These boats are sure a lot of work but so worth it in the end!

Mine was not beeping all the time, and I never had to press the fuel button. My guage was just like stuck at half tank, so I guess that was why I didn't have the beeping. I did find my float was full of fuel , but I slid it up and down inside the baffle and it looks like everything else is working. Guage when up and down as it should. So the new float should do the trick for me. I am waiting on a Fuel Petcock that I screwed up and the in tank filters before I can put mine back together and try it out. Part will be in late this week, but I have a hectic schedule with work this week, so not sure it is looking good for even next weekend. :( but I will let you know my results once I get it back on the water with the new parts.

Mine was not beeping all the time, and I never had to press the fuel button. My guage was just like stuck at half tank, so I guess that was why I didn't have the beeping. I did find my float was full of fuel , but I slid it up and down inside the baffle and it looks like everything else is working. Guage when up and down as it should. So the new float should do the trick for me. I am waiting on a Fuel Petcock that I screwed up and the in tank filters before I can put mine back together and try it out. Part will be in late this week, but I have a hectic schedule with work this week, so not sure it is looking good for even next weekend. :( but I will let you know my results once I get it back on the water with the new parts.

ah its a fuel problem with both engines now because they hardly started today and the stupid boat just beeps and beeps until i hit the fuel button and they would stall and stall like starving for fuel. Im almost ready to drill a hole in the bottom and push her out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back