Fuel guage connector pinout

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

kilgorekb

My shop manual says to measure PURPLE/PINK and BLACK at the gauge plug. I unplug the connector and place multimeter leads on the specified wires (pin 1 and 3). I press the start/stop button... the relay clicks... I get 11.90V. I plug the connector back into the gauge... no reading on the gauge whatsoever.

I remove the gauge and take it to the bench. When I run 12.5V from a bench battery straight to the gauge on those mating pins, I get no fuel reading, but the OIL lamp lights up red. Is this behavior expected? If not, can someone verify the correct pinout for pins 1 and 3 are indeed PURPLE/PINK and BLACK (not necessarily in that order.)

I just replaced the entire baffle assy tonight. I'm getting 60.8 Ohm reading.
The gauge backlight works.

Last edited by a moderator:
there should be 6 wires from memory, power + and -, 2 for the the fuel level sender, and 2 for the low oil switch

If you put the power on it on the bench same as before and put a little link wire between the pairs of contacts you should get the oil light to go off and on the other set the gauge should move

The other way to test is in the boat where the gauge plugs in going back to the oil and fuel tanks, put your meter on the ohm scale and test between the pins, 2 go to the oil switch and show a low reading when the tank is full and open circuit when the tank is low. The 2 to the fuel tank should have a varying resistance as the level changes.

In this way you can also test the wiring to the tanks by unplugging the sensors, getting someone to hold a small wire link on the 2 terminals where the sensor plugged in and testing the resistance over the wiring loom to see if your problem is there.

I just re-read you post, was the 60.8ohm reading at the baffle or through all of the boat wiring as well?

Last edited by a moderator:
from the Seadoo Manual:
The resistance measured between PINK/BLACK
and PINK wires must be in accordance with fuel
level (measured from under the flange) as specified
in the following charts
FUEL LEVEL AND RESISTANCE
FUEL LEVEL RESISTANCE
mm (in) (W)
full 299 and more 11.8 and more 0 ± 2.2
7/8 272 @ 298 10.7 @ 11.7 17.8 ± 2.2
3/4 247 @ 271 9.7 @ 10.6 27.8 ± 2.2
5/8 220 @ 246 8.7 @ 9.6 37.8 ± 2.2
1/2 194 @ 219 7.6 @ 8.6 47.8 ± 2.2
3/8 162 @ 193 6.4 @ 7.5 57.8 ± 2.2
1/4 130 @ 161 5.1 @ 6.3 67.8 ± 2.2
1/8 86 @ 129 3.4 @ 5.0 77.8 ± 2.2
empty 0 @ 85 0 @ 3.3 89.8 ± 2.2

this for the sportster and challenger 1800 models

Martin

At the bench, I jumpered the pink pair on the gauge plug and the needle stayed on E. I checked the resistance on the pink pair at the gauge and it matched the reading I got from the baffle connector (~60 Ohm). So, I'm concluding that I need a new gauge. Let all opposed, speak now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back