Fuel gauge problem

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

get_real

The fuel gauge on my 96’ XP was working perfectly when I parked it about 3 years ago. Now that I’ve got it running again the red light on the gauge won’t go off regardless of the fuel level. I pulled the baffle out and the float and screen look fine. I should have checked the resistance while I had it out but didn’t. I then pulled the 6 wire plug that goes to the gauge and checked resistance from the pink and pink/black wires and measured about 16 ohm’s which per my manual shows the tank should be about 7/8 full. It’s actually about 3/4 full. Does this mean the gage has gone bad? The manual talks about using a potentiometer to test the gage but I don’t have one. Any thoughts on other tests I should do before replacing the gauge? All the other lights on the gauge are working correctly.

Update, think my resistance test was incorrect. Tried a new test, unhooked the connector coming from the baffle and jumped the pink and pink/black wires going to the gauge. The red empty light went out and the fuel bars came on showing a full tank. This makes sense as zero ohms equals full tank. So guess the baffle is not working. Maybe the fuse has gone bad or the float is sinking. Will pull the baffle again!

Solved my problem, the F1 fuse went bad for some reason. Soldered the board and now getting perfect resistance readings, 0 to 80. Glued the tube back together with JB weld and waiting for it to drive. One last question, is do have one grey hose left coming off the baffle, it appears to be the vent tube that goes to the left hull and up somewhere above the tank. All other fuel hoses are clear vinyl. Since there’s no fuel in the vent hose does it also need to be replaced?IMG_1119.JPG

You do not have to replace the vent hose. Fuel can get in there during a roll over, but since it does not sit in there, the ethanol doesn’t really have a chance to affect it. I replaced my for peace of mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back