Fuel Delivery Issues 1996 SPI ??

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

etemplet

Premium Member
Premium Member
It gives many indications leading me to believe this is a fuel problem but I'm having problems resolving the problem. Actually acts like a bad ignition coil to an extent but not totally. :)

After purchasing last year, I went though all the normal stuff and took the ski to Florida for a week. Road it about 5 hours or so and it began to act up, not taking fuel, only idling. I came home and found a scoured piston which I thought might be the problem. New top end. Last week road the ski for a couple of hours. Same problem developed. Would not take fuel. I took it out when my daughter got back complaining and I had the same problem. The next day, I tried to get it back out on the water again and.... same problem. I cracked the fuel cap, switched the fuel valve, etc.... and Had to limp back to the dock.

When I got home I Pulled the carb and found some white oxidized stuff under the check valve seats for the fuel pump. The pump was not drawing fuel up the line. I cleaned the carb, installed a Mikuni kit, checked pop-off, sealing, leaks... all good. Removed the fuel tank, cleaned out (it was clean), pulled the baffle tube checked (it was clean) and I even replaced the new fuel lines I changed out last year. I even changed out the vent line hoses, replaced the new fuel filter and gasket. I pressure tested the fuel system Today took the ski out and road almost an hour, came back for fuel. Filled up. Got about 2 miles from the dock it began running rough and quit. Starts back up with a little finesse and I massaged it back to the launch. At the launch, I did some checking went out and hammered down a few times.... it quit. I did this a few times, results the same.

This is an enigma for sure. Last year I noticed this problem began when I hit some big waves and the hull took a few shocks. Lately that is not the problem. The Carb is not loading up and the ski runs pretty good. I don't see where I can have a restriction. so I have to look deeper. Could I have a crank seal leak that is not letting the carb pump get a proper pulse when the engine gets good and hot ?? Could it be electrical? I'm gonna pull the plugs and have a look. I'm just glad the ski doesn't leave me completely. LOL

I am going to check the fuel pump. Is there a prescribed method for checking that? I wouldn't think it draws much vacuum which would make it difficult to measure. I am also wondering of the carb may need replacing because the check valves are not sealing properly.

Input is appreciated.

Last edited:
After some checks... looks like restrictive filtration. Tests on the fuel pump checked out great. I am removing an inline filter I installed when I did the fuel lines last year and I will make sure I have an OEM main filter in place. My little Mitey-Vac pump sure comes in handy. I really had a ball riding today. I'm gonna really enjoy getting these skis up to spec. I am a hit the button and everything works kinda guy. :)

I am not an advocate of additional in-line filters for this very reason.
I remember you told me this recently. I have a cousin with an SPX that is having the same problem. Skis run for an hour, then performance deteriorates. I'm still not positive this will be a fix but like I told my cousin... I dang sure know what it ain't. :) If this crap keeps up both these skis are gonna get electric fuel pumps that is for certain.

Do not install electric fuel pumps. The stock ones work fine and if not, you have something else going on.

Yup the inline filter was the problem. I told my cousin to throw his away too. He has the SPX my nephew donated to me. Both of us had fuel delivery issues. He is the one that told me my filter may be to fine. I suspected the filter gave me problems but not "that bad". Wouldn't even run above idle Yup Mikidymac... no in line filter on these skis.... Never. LOL I tested the fuel flow on one of the GTXs that gave me trouble this morning. Pumps are working well. Now I can begin to fine tune the skis. The SPI was smokin fast today with the new wear ring and getting enough fuel. I couldn't catch the GTXs but still made some bold moves and wet the girls up pretty good. Payback was a bitch tho.. LOL Sure was priceless today !! My wife is loving these things. She swapped ends in turns twice today !! Who woulda though she was a freakin hooligan on a jet ski. LOL Jamie Hanna Jet Ski 2018.jpgSissy Jamie Hanna.jpgSissy Jet Ski BEST Diversion Canal.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back