Frozen Impeller- Removal Help

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

pwgsx

I knew this was bad when I removed the pump cone and found black tar looking stuff and no oil. If there is any way to salvage this thing, I need the impeller removed. However with the normal 1/2 breaker bar and even a cheater pipe, all I can get is maybe half a turn and then it freezes. Any tricks to getting the impeller off the shaft. At this point I am not worried about getting a new impeller and rebuild kit. Just didnt want to have to buy a housing as well.

Attachments

• IMG_2676.jpg
    IMG_2676.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 24
The flats of the shaft in you picture in a big vise, then a breaker bar and cheater pipe with an impeller tool. They are standard threads and it will come off.

O I know, but this thing is frozen. It laughed at my impact and 1/2 breaker bar. Took a 4 ft cheater pipe and got maybe 3/4 of a rotation till it sounded like metal on metal grinding and it stopped. I would say this is my 50th or so removal but the 1st that is stuck this bad.

Get some PB Blaster down the impeller. A little heat will help too. Then work it back and forth to get it moving. On off, on off until it starts going. I have not had good luck with impacts, just steady pressure.

I cracked a vice in 1/2 doing this... there is supposed to be a metal plate that holds the shaft still in the housing. it's a sea-doo part #.

usually it works fine, just saying one day it cracked it in 1/2 lol.

I cracked a vice in 1/2 doing this... there is supposed to be a metal plate that holds the shaft still in the housing. it's a sea-doo part #.

usually it works fine, just saying one day it cracked it in 1/2 lol.

Yes, but then how do you hold the housing and what stops the "holder" from cracking the housing with that much torque? The manual still shows holding the "holder" tool in the vise so there is no difference than just clamping the shaft in the vise. They do want you to heat the impeller to 300 degrees though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back