Front Navigation light for 1997 Sportster bulb size?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skijunke

HI, I have a 1997 Sea Doo Sportster. The prior owner removed the bulb from the front navigation light. I went to AutoZone to look for a replacement and they have about a hundred cylinder bulbs with contacts on both ends. I don't know what size replacement to purchase. I even called a Sea Doo Boat Dealer, they could not look it up. They told me just to replace the entire light assembly. i searched Google, with no success. I believe the same front nav light was used on multiple years (maybe 1996-1999?). If you have a boat of these ages, can you please unscrew the front light assembly and give me the manufacture name & bulb number please? Or if you know the replacement bulb, please let me know? Thank you in advance!

Festoon - sure doesn't look like a festoon from the pics:View attachment 36210

Depends what one he has. The '96 and earlier had a regular bulb. But the later ones had a festoon. Basically, the OP just needs to take apart his light and see what he needs. Either way its 8w. He will either need a bayonet or festoon.

AND... since it's just a generic Atwood light... it may have been changed by a pervious owner.

Yes, an 8 Watt festoon bulb if it has connectors on both ends (festoon) as OP seems to describe. I had some trouble with mine working reliably and minor contact corrosion was the cause so just soldered it to the clip connectors for trouble-free operation. As much as these bulbs are used, which isn't much, they typically never go bad but the connections corrode thus become unreliable.

A more powerful bulb will probably make too much heat and cause the plastic fixture to melt. An LED type might be a good choice if it's waterproof.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back